How close are you with your family (ex: parents, siblings)? What does your SO say about it and how are they with your family?

My ex told me that one of the reasons he was breaking up with me was because my relationship with my family. I am very close with them and when I am around them, I hang out and talk to them. They help me with my son and he is very close with them. My sons fathers rights were terminated when he was a baby and I have been doing this as a single mom with the help of my parents along the way (no finacial help, only physical help). He said a bunch of bad things about my family, my relationship with my family and how I am and how my family is with my son.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:48 PM on Mar. 31, 2009 in Relationships

• I have a very close realtionship with my mom. She lives next door to us and I go over there every day unless the weather is really bad or if my daughter is sick. On the days I don't go over there I call her, sometimes 2 or 3 times a day. My dh don't have a problem with it. He kinda likes when I go over there so he can have "free time" w/o me & our dd. And my dad actually kinda likes my dh, and everyone gets along great. Now when my brother & his demon wife come over (which is usually just holidays) that's a different story LOL Sorry he's being an ass. Your family is more important though. They'll always be there no matter what & if he can't handle it, let him leave.
    Anonymous

• I am very close with my family as well. Even my in laws. I talk to my mother and my sister in law every other day or so and we spend our weekends with our family as well. My husband and I have been married for 13 yrs so hes used to it. I never let my family come between my husband and I though. Thats a big no no. I personally think my family likes my husband more than me...LOL It sounds like he might have been a bit jealous?
    momofsaee

Answer by momofsaee at 2:06 PM on Mar. 31, 2009

• I am very close to my parents, sisters, nieces and nephews. BUT, dh knows that when I married him - he became numero uno! LOL I also know that he puts me, and our relationship above all others. Now - I do see my parents often, as they live close by. I talk with sisters and other family weekly. Dh is very accepting, and loves them like his family.....in fact, in humor he says if I ever kick him out,he will move in with my Mom and Dad.
    Now - his family is not involved in our lives at all,but that is for specific reasons.
    I think it is important that after we marry, we love all our family the same - BUT, we need to make our SO's know we have there back.
    MamaDiane

Answer by MamaDiane at 2:16 PM on Mar. 31, 2009

• I am close with my family and my husband loves them and supports the relationship. Your ex sounds exceptionally immature and selfish. He is also VERY insecure. You're well rid of him.
    kara_g.

Answer by kara_g. at 2:17 PM on Mar. 31, 2009

• I am very close to my mom and step dad. I can't go a few days w/o talking to my mom. My BF knows that we are close and he is close to his mom. My family also gets together A LOT and he doesn't understand why and gets annoyed with it. He is an only child of an only child so his family is small and mine is very large in comparison. My ex hated the fact that I was close to my family and even made it a point to tell me not to see or talk to my mom b/c she was "brain washing" me against him. I guess that is why he is my ex. Enjoy the fact that you are close to your family and that they like him.
    coala

Answer by coala at 2:57 PM on Mar. 31, 2009

• Once I left my ex, my relationship with my family is great. My fiance gets along with all my family and friends. They love him to death.
    lily7

Answer by lily7 at 3:32 PM on Mar. 31, 2009

• We see my family atleast once a month. Call once a week. ITS good to have your own space without outside drama. Thats why we moved away from his family!
    momavanessa

Answer by momavanessa at 3:52 PM on Mar. 31, 2009

• MY FAMILY IS MY LIFE, I WILL DO ANYTHING FOR EACH AND EVERYONE OF THEM, AND THIS GOES NOT JUST MY IMMEDIATE FAMILY BUT MY EXTENDED FAMILY AS WELL. IF YOU HAVE SUCH A GOOD RELATIONSHIP WITH YOURS, THIS I WOULD THINK WOULD BE A PLUS IN YOUR EX'S VIEW OF YOU.

Answer by older at 4:29 PM on Mar. 31, 2009

• i love my family there the most important people in my life including my daughter my husband hated that at the beginning of the marriege now he got used to it but his worse with his family he always put them before me and our daughter always still do i alwayl compromise if i had plans with him i would keep them and if he had plans with us but his family need it toilet paper he was there now more than half of my family including my parents move to 3000 miles away his sooo happy and you know his never home and he was never home I miss them soo much so dont stop seing your family because they will always be there for you.....I have a sister here wich i love but she works lots so i dont get to see her very often so girl blood is thicker than water and they will always love you nomatter what (i talk tooo much lol sorry)
    R3DR0S3

Answer by R3DR0S3 at 9:23 PM on Mar. 31, 2009