What makes some of the posters so high and mighty? Regaurding the Post Office...

I was going through my answers that I have previously posted on. And one of them was about closing the USPS. Some of the posts were absolutely rediculous! Not necessarily saying the P.O. should close, but how they're all thieves and don't do their jobs. Excuse me, but when your letters get ripped or mangled, it's NOT your carrier that does it. They have these high speed machines that run millions of letters through. When people send other items in their letters OTHER than paper, these machines get clogged and the letters get tangled! Do you honestly think that the itemin question is the ONLY one that gets damaged? Um, no. And when it comes to magazines and such that get ripped or whatever try calling your magazine company and have them ship it wrapped in plastic so your stuff doesn't get ripped. I appreciate everyone that wants to keep the P.O. open, but for those that were ripping on us...Ugh, seriously? You...

Lillysmomma1024

Asked by Lillysmomma1024 at 1:50 PM on Mar. 31, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• couldn't do this job! We don't get raises whenever stamp costs go up. We put up with bosses that treat us like garbage just like a lot of you! All we ask is that your mailbox be clear for us to drive up to! I'm sorry if that's such and inconvienence for you. If you're having issues with your box getting destroyed by snow plows, call your city or county office. That is NOT our fault. If you're having problems receiving mail, call your post master. We're not all perfect. Just like you aren't perfect. Please, don't thing EVERY letter carrier, Rural Carrier is like that. It's just not true. A couple of bad apples can ruin people's opinions on the whole bunch. Sometimes it takes people like me, and the other carrier that was posting to defend us that are good. I'm sorry if you're having problems with your office, but we're not all bad. Please understand that there are so many of us that don't want to lose our jobs!;)
    Lillysmomma1024

Answer by Lillysmomma1024 at 1:55 PM on Mar. 31, 2009

• I'm going to be very honest with you. I feel that MANY USPS workers are over-worked and grossly underpaid. Being in several jobs in the past myself where I was over-worked and underpaid, I did not work up to my full potential, and I did not work cheerfully. I think we've ALL stood in line for hours at the PO and gotten grumpy reception or lack of sympathy when something we sent or waited for was damaged. I think we've all seen our carriers do something such as dump our mail on the ground instead of in the box. One of my carriers rolls all of our mail up in a lump (birthday cards and things obviously not mean to be bent) and rubberbanded to make it easier for him to drop everyone's mail off. This has caused important documents and things I would have liked to keep to be damaged (OBVIOUSLY because of the rubber band). I left him a note asking him to please not do that anymore and he left one saying "I'll do what I want."
    NovemberLove

Answer by NovemberLove at 1:57 PM on Mar. 31, 2009

• My husband's cousin is a mail carrier and I agree with you. I have to say the only thing that really ticks me off is when my mail goes to other houses and I get other people's mail. Our addresses aren't that close and they're usually always legible on the envelope so I don't understand it. I have called to complain about it before because some people just throw what's not their away!
    ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 1:57 PM on Mar. 31, 2009

• I thought that post was a little silly. The mail is reliable, timely and relatively cheap. You guys are doing a fine job, some people complain about everything.
    stacymomof2

Answer by stacymomof2 at 1:57 PM on Mar. 31, 2009

• (cont.) my point is, it isn't uncommon for people to have poor experiences at the PO. So, you can expect anything that goes wrong there to always be blamed on the PO or the employees whether it is actually their fault or not.

Things can improve if we all remember to calm down and say thank you (I know the employees there rarely hear thank you and most often hear complaints and whining). It would also improve if these ladies and gents that work there were paid more and got more appreciation.

I still don't fault people that get upset with ther service there. It's just common-place that it's usually not very good except for a few great POs here and there. :-)
    NovemberLove

Answer by NovemberLove at 1:59 PM on Mar. 31, 2009

• Weird, I think ive received maybe one package that the outside was slightly damaged.. but my mail is pretty much perfect when I receive it. I never had a bad experience with them, thankfully. I have the same guy delivering the jewelry I sell from my home business and he always says hello to my 16 month old and is very nice.. Im grateful for such honest people here.. I couldnt afford having even one package of jewelry stolen.
    BEXi

Answer by BEXi at 2:02 PM on Mar. 31, 2009

• We live way out in the country and our mailbox is completely inaccessble for months every winter, so we simply got a post office box to make sure that we get the few bills that can't be paid online promptly. My only gripe is one person at the small post office is a deep-dyed, born again xtian and will NOT put any of my Pagan magazines or catalogues in my box, I always have to go to the window and ask for them. I have complained about this to no avail. It is a very small post office so the workers have plenty of time to pay attention to what they are putting in the boxes, unlike larger offices where thay don't care what you are getting, so long as it's yours.
    pagan_mama

Answer by pagan_mama at 2:15 PM on Mar. 31, 2009

• clapping  for the PO and the employees!!!

I have a wonderful overworked underpaid and underappreicated postal carrier.  He is awesome.  He delivers 3 routes every day, instead of just 1.  He works from 7 am to after 6 pm 6 days a week.  I ship packages every day.  He goes above and beyond the call of duty to help me.  He has in the past, taken possession of international mail, brought stamps/boxes and he lets me put my packages in a garbage bag on bad weather days.  I remember all of this with a gift certificate to his favorite restaurant a few times a year.

Smiling and clapping for the USPS!!!  It is one of the few things in the US that actually works!!!  Imagine for a few cents I can get a letter from house to almost anywhere in the world.  Talk about bang for your buck!

yourspecialkid

Answer by yourspecialkid at 2:23 PM on Mar. 31, 2009

• The only beef I have is with our own mail carrier, but in all honesty it's not that it's his fault, LOL . . .

He's VERY elderly and has a hard time getting in and out of his truck (we're rural and they get to use pick-up trucks out here) so when we have a package he usually sticks it in a grocery sack and ties it to the mail box. He is also a little grumpy at times, and HATES it when we put anything in the box without a stamp (leaving the stamp money in the envelope provided by the USPS for just such a reason) - and he's hit the mailbox twice with his mirror. But, that's the carrier, NOT the post-office!
    jennijune_21

Answer by jennijune_21 at 2:25 PM on Mar. 31, 2009

• I appreciate all the wonderful comments! Some people don't realize how hard our job actually is. I show up for work around 7:15, and leave the office anywhere from 9:30-11 depending on how much mail is there and depending on how much mail and parcels I have I get back to the office between 2:30-5. Now, that's on a regular work week. That's not talking about Christmas time. Did y'all know that for us rural carriers, the ONLY time of the year we get overtime is the month of December. ANd whatever our route is evaluated at, that's how much we get paid for. That means, as my route is 50 miles a day and evaluated at just over 8 hours (from time I start work to the time I leave the office) that's how much I get paid for. No matter how long it takes me to work that day; unless I work over 12. That means if my mail volume is heavy that day and I wind up working 11 hours, I ONLY get paid for the 8. That being said on the RARE
    Lillysmomma1024

Answer by Lillysmomma1024 at 2:58 PM on Mar. 31, 2009