Do You Think Babies Can Tell When You're Annoyed?

I love my son. He's a great little boy (he's 4 months old). He's going through a phase now where he wants constant attention. My husband is always away at work which means I am basically entertaining this kid 24 hours a day, 7 days a week all by myself (I have no family nearby and my friends all have at least one kid of their own that they're dealing with too). He likes to grab skin in his little fists and pinch (I have bruises from him all over my friggin arms!) He also is in the "hair yanking" stage. He JUST started doing this so I haven't quite gotten used to it yet.

I try my best to always smile and play with him and appear happy all the time but I can't help but feel frustrated on the inside :-( Do you think he can tell?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:51 PM on Mar. 31, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Oh, I wouldn't worry too much at this age. My daughter's 22 months and as soon as I start getting into my passive-aggressive annoyed mood she starts saying, "Mommy's happy right now?" As if she could will me to be happy. You can't be 100% patient and calm 100% of the time. Sure babies can sense if you're super-stressed or upset, but try not to worry or try to fake it for him. Just feel what you feel, try to take breaks, take deep breaths, and relax. He knows you love him.
    EmilySusan

Answer by EmilySusan at 1:55 PM on Mar. 31, 2009

• Babies can sense frustration. I noticed this first hand with Becka. She had *colic* ( I only say that because we never did figure out what was wrong) and occasionally MIL would take her, and she would stop crying, because MIL wasn't frustrated like DH and I were. So they can definitely tell. If you feel frustrated, but fake happiness, your body is still tense and they notice it.

Get a baby sling and go for a walk, or put him in the stroller. Getting out of the house ALWAYS made me feel better, even if it was just a walk in the park alone! :)
    celticreverie

Answer by celticreverie at 2:10 PM on Mar. 31, 2009

• I hear ya hun, my husband worked nights for the first 6 1/2 months of our childs life which meant we only saw him awake maybe an hour or two a day. I am stay at home mom as well and there are still days when all I can think is "I just want to be left untouched for 10 minutes!" What helped me most was learning how to get out and about with the baby. We might go to teh mall or walmart just to walk around. He is so interested in the people I dont have to hold him every second and I get my change of scenery. As far as can they tell, you betchya. But there is nothing wrong with your baby seeing you have different emotions and feelings. How else will he learn them? Just make sure that he sees you dealing with them in the appropriate manner.
    humaniterian87

Answer by humaniterian87 at 2:44 PM on Mar. 31, 2009

• My son is doing that to me too...and i am always frustrated. and i think he feels my stress...but he only started that recently hes 8 months old, so im thankful he didnt start earlier...but you just have to wait until he gets out of that stage..i know that answer sucks..sorry
    landonsmommy709

Answer by landonsmommy709 at 3:18 PM on Mar. 31, 2009

• I think they can sense frustration and tension but I don't know about being annoyed. I would get annoyed with my son when he did that but he still just laughed and continued.
    Anonymous