Could the dr. or midwife be wrong about the due date or calculations?

pfuentes8

Asked by pfuentes8 at 1:57 PM on Mar. 31, 2009 in Pregnancy

• they could be a little off but theyre pretty accurate for the most part when provided accurate info.. like your last period. but i guess they could possibly be 2 weeks off, but then again... im not a doc so i wouldnt know. =P
    rAbella

Answer by rAbella at 2:03 PM on Mar. 31, 2009

• No, they're usually pretty close. My guess is the only reason they would be late is if you told them incorrectly when you're last menstrual cycle was. Correct me if i'm wrong.
    Anonymous

• They're actually almost always "wrong." Babies rarely come on their predicted due-date.

Calculating from your LMP only predicts pregnancy based on your cycle. There's no way of knowing when you're actual date of conception was.

Calculating from your early ultra sound is thought to be more acurate than calculating from your LMP. However, some babies are just larger or smaller than other babies so going by size and measurements aren't always 100% acurate either.

I had three different due dates. One from my LMP and two from ultrasound. The most recent one that I had ended up being the most acurate (but my son was STILL born 5 days later lol).

Babies come when they want to. Your EDD (estimated due date) just serves to give you a heads up, help monitor the babies growth and warn you if labor is starting much sooner than it should.

If you think your EDD is off, ask for an ultrasound.
    NovemberLove

Answer by NovemberLove at 2:04 PM on Mar. 31, 2009

• btw, docs changed my due date 4 times but the dates were 2 weeks apart. they change it sometimes based on the size and development of the baby. good luck!
    rAbella

Answer by rAbella at 2:05 PM on Mar. 31, 2009