Do you support Special Olympics?

Today is Special Olympics Spread the Word to End the Word Day. It's the day to teach people that if you can't call someone n***er or f*g or sp*c, then you cannot call them retard, either. Will you sign the pledge?

http://www.r-word.org/

More important, will you have your kids sign it?

NotPanicking

Asked by NotPanicking at 2:03 PM on Mar. 31, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• I already have!! My sister is mentally disabled and has participated in the Special Olympics before, they are the most compassionate people I have ever met. <3
    BEXi

Answer by BEXi at 2:04 PM on Mar. 31, 2009

• http://www.r-word.org/

Direct link clicky thingy

NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 2:03 PM on Mar. 31, 2009

• Yes, I don't use any of those words, and I teach my kids the same way.
    stacymomof2

Answer by stacymomof2 at 2:05 PM on Mar. 31, 2009

• Already signed it. Thank you for helping spread the word.
    Momtocccd

Answer by Momtocccd at 2:10 PM on Mar. 31, 2009

• Send that to Mr. Obama.
    Anonymous

• Yes I do! I have a special needs child.
    yourspecialkid

Answer by yourspecialkid at 2:15 PM on Mar. 31, 2009

•  "I pledge and support the elimination of the derogatory use of the r-word from everyday speech and promote the acceptance and inclusion of people with intellectual disabilities."

Why do you need a pledge not to call someone a name? Shouldn't that be what we are teaching kids anyway? Its a nice idea, but un-necessary IMO. We should be doing this already.

ozarkgirl3

Answer by ozarkgirl3 at 2:34 PM on Mar. 31, 2009

• Sure do! I always will. I think they are great. (I have a disability) and use to be a part of them when I was younger..
    Novmeber2006

Answer by Novmeber2006 at 2:42 PM on Mar. 31, 2009

• Why do you need a pledge not to call someone a name? Shouldn't that be what we are teaching kids anyway? Its a nice idea, but un-necessary IMO. We should be doing this already.

Yes, we should. Now do a search for the word and see how many questions and journals you find from people who don't think there's anything wrong with using it (or gay) as an insult. Obviously nobody taught them any better, and they aren't teaching their children.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 2:50 PM on Mar. 31, 2009

• Do we need to take a pledge ? Should that be parents job to teach their kids ?Maybe we should take a pledge in cafemom too . Like not call  other mother's  idiots ,a**holes,brain dead........

Anonymous