How to soothe little runny noses?

I babysit a baby boy and he has a very runny nose poor baby he doesn't like that suction bulb so I just wipe very gently he seems to be fine but when he comes over his little nose is rubbed raw. What can I do for him to be comfty or to tell his mom what she could do for him. I just dab alittle vick's on his little nose.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:07 PM on Mar. 31, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I don't think you're supposed to do Vicks on their noses. My pedi said a tiny bit on the chest is ok if they have congestion there. They all hate the suction bulb. But saline drops in the nose and then suction is really the only thing you can do for a congested/snotty baby.
    EmilySusan

Answer by EmilySusan at 2:15 PM on Mar. 31, 2009

• Try plain Vaseline. Vicks contains menthol, which may irritate the skin further. Vaseline will protect the skin, and create a moisture barrier. You'll still have to wipe, but it won't chafe the skin any more.
    Jodie118

Answer by Jodie118 at 2:18 PM on Mar. 31, 2009

• My daughter hates the bulb too. I went to Babies R Us and bought the battery operated one. She still hates it but it is quicker. As for the raw nose I use Lansinoh Nipple Cream. It's safe and all natural.
    Lexi.Mommy

Answer by Lexi.Mommy at 12:16 PM on Apr. 1, 2009