Is the ultrasound more accurate than what they tell you?

The first due date they gave me was may 8 but then they changed it to may 30 because of the ultrasound and they said i was wrong with my LMP which i know i wasn't. Now the clinic tells me I'm about 31 wks but the ultrasound says I'm 34 wks. Someone told me that the ultrasound was more accurate than anything else.

pfuentes8

Asked by pfuentes8 at 2:24 PM on Mar. 31, 2009 in Pregnancy

• you could jsut have a big baby...my ultrasound said im about 35 weeks when im 37 BUT im a small girl and my bf is too =P so..its genetics! =]
    MissKellee

Answer by MissKellee at 2:26 PM on Mar. 31, 2009

• Ultrasounds AFTER the first trimester are HIGHLY inaccurate. You are still 31 weeks, the baby could just be measuring a head a bit. The u/s machines base measurements on some silly standard, and it's not the same for everyone just what's "average". At this point genetics play a huge role in development.

celticreverie

Answer by celticreverie at 2:30 PM on Mar. 31, 2009

• the first ulrasound date that is given (the due date the ultrasound gives you in your first trimester) is considered the most accurate, Embryos tend to grow at the same rate across the board in the first trimester barring any issues, but once you get into the second trimester fetuses can grow at varrying rates (ex. a term baby can weigh anywhere from 6-12 pounds) thats a pretty vast difference so the first due date your given is supposed to be the most accurate but its not really that important anyways. It's just a guess to begin with and if you do go into labor early (like I did 5 weeks) they due tests to determine how mature the baby is before they decide what course of action to take. Its really not something to stress about. Personally I recommend being pretty prepared for the baby around 30 weeks gestation since the arrival of my son at 34 weeks and 5 days threw us all for a loop and we were not prepared
    humaniterian87

Answer by humaniterian87 at 2:31 PM on Mar. 31, 2009

• Also, LMP's can be way off. They base it on the average 28 day cycle but some women have a 30 day cycle, or even 35 day cycle. It really just depends, so stick with the may 30th due date. That's more accurate.
    celticreverie

Answer by celticreverie at 2:31 PM on Mar. 31, 2009

• My son measures 36 weeks and I know for a fact I'm only 32... so no, ultrasounds are not accurate. Go by the LMP.
    emmetsmom09

Answer by emmetsmom09 at 4:06 PM on Mar. 31, 2009