Should the school system dictate what food your child can have?

I dont mean what they serve, I mean what YOU pack them for lunch or snack. My DD attends elemantary school. In our sytem, if it is deemed 'unhealthy' it is taken away and they cant eat it. This is both during snack time and lunchtime. They are required to bring a snack for both morning and afternoon. If they dont bring one, they get to sit and watch the other kids eat theirs at the designated time. If you pack the wrong thing and it gets taken away, they also have to sit and watch because the school doesnt replace what they take. I dont remember this being the way things were done when I was in school.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:27 PM on Mar. 31, 2009 in Just for Fun

• HELL NO! If you think that it is okay then it should be fine. I don't understand why the school system thinks that they are above the parents in making choices for our children.
    coala

Answer by coala at 2:29 PM on Mar. 31, 2009

• I don't agree.....................BUT was a list given out that directs parents as to what is considered healthy? That way you get to choose. I would not want a class eating cookies and chips for snacks. I think raisins, pretzels, crackers, fruit, and those types of things are appropriate. That is what I send for my oldest child.

Teachermom01

Answer by Teachermom01 at 2:30 PM on Mar. 31, 2009

• If the parent is the one who packed it, the school shouldn't take it away. Of course , if the snack choice is really unhealthy, they may just want to look out for the child but a note home should take care of that, not taking food away from the child.
    Anonymous

• No, absolutely not.

BonesDragonDew

Answer by BonesDragonDew at 2:31 PM on Mar. 31, 2009

• I personally thinks this sucks eggs. I understand the no peanut thing because of allergies but for the school to say what I pack in healthy or not is stepping over a line. My daughters teacher provides the snack for her class, every parent can give $2 a month or send in a snack for their child.
    dle4125

Answer by dle4125 at 2:31 PM on Mar. 31, 2009

• I do not agree with this AT ALL. That's like telling me how to raise my child, and don't you DARE tell me how to do that!

I was also a little miffed at these school systems banning things like peanut butter and chocolate because of food allergies.

I grew up eating peanut butter and honey sandwiches at school with chocolate pudding for dessert, and I never saw any of my classmates have to go to the hospital for breathing the fumes!
    jennijune_21

Answer by jennijune_21 at 2:32 PM on Mar. 31, 2009

• My sons' school says they can't have candy or soda. I'm ok with that, since I wouldn't want to send it for them anyway. But, if I decide to send my sons chocolate chip cookies or a twinkie in their lunch, that's my choice. Especially since I also ensure the rest of that lunch is healthy. If my kids ever got their food taken away, I'd be in telling the school that they need to start forking over the cash for my grocery bill if they're going to determine what my child can and cannot eat. As for bringing a snack, our school does that, too, but you provide snack for the whole class, so no one gets left out. You get a certain day each month that you have to send snack in for. And we send in all kinds of stuff, and they never tell us we can't send whatever it is, unless it's b/c someone has an allergy. But even then, except for peanuts, they usually have something for the allergic kid, since it's usually an uncommon allergy.
    tropicalmama

Answer by tropicalmama at 2:34 PM on Mar. 31, 2009

• If they have made it clear that they should have a healthy snack then I don't think it's fair to let the other children having a healthy snack see another child eating a junk snack... It's also about teaching the kids that healthy is best.. I myself think it's an excellent idea, it makes the parents accountable. BTW our boys go to a school that doesn't care what the kids eat, candy, junk etc so we have to work twice as hard to teach them whats best for them...
    4x4mum

Answer by 4x4mum at 2:38 PM on Mar. 31, 2009

• ours said it was to help combat obesity.I don't think it's that cupcake that is sent that is the problem,children are allowed to sit idle in front of the tv and computer for hours on end.why don't they just up the activity level?How many of you as kids ate junk food?were you obese as a child?Probably not because we were outside playing,kids don't do that anymore.
    TMJ121099

Answer by TMJ121099 at 2:48 PM on Mar. 31, 2009

• Shouldnt it be the parents decesion? What do you feel is healthy and whats not? Would healthy be water or juice? What about popcorn? Is it healthy plain but unhealthy with butter or cheese?Some disagree that far let alone what a junky snack is and what it isnt. I do not agree with that school.
    Anonymous