Is this legal?

I had a c-sec 4 and a half weeks ago. I went back to work yesterday with doctors approval but I had restrictions. I could not lift more than 5lbs, bend or stretch. The company that owns the company I work for denied me to continue working until my doc said I had no restrictions. They told me they just didn't want me to get hurt and be liable if anything happened. But I was under the impression companies had to make reasonable accomodations for employees.

LovinEveryDay

Asked by LovinEveryDay at 2:40 PM on Mar. 31, 2009 in Money & Work

• They have to keep your job, but they do not have to accomodate your restrictions. It happened to my Husband when he had a serious back injury. They wouldn't allow him back at the office no matter what.
    SonjaSC

Answer by SonjaSC at 3:30 PM on Mar. 31, 2009

• Not if you are unable to perform your job duties as required of the position. If the position requires that you must be able to do something such as lift 20 pounds, they do not have to let you come back until you meet those requirements. It's standard. They have to think about liability.
    DDry

Answer by DDry at 2:48 PM on Mar. 31, 2009

• The company I worked for was like that too. They do have to make reasonable accomodations, but if it is UNREASONABLE to not have you lift more than 5 lbs at this job, then they cannot accomodate you. It doesn't sound like they are doing something that won't allow you to have your job back when you can work without restrictions, I wouild just spend the next couple of weeks enjoying my baby, then go back to work when the doctor removes restrictions. At the place I worked a woman couldn't come back to work until she had orders from the doctor that she could stand......her job was a standing job, she could not reasonably do the job sitting.....she was upset because she expected the boss to give her someone elses job to do while she was restricted, how is that fair? So take a moment to think about your job, is it reasonable for you to be there and NOT lift anything more than 5 lbs. They are being careful so they don't get sued
    Anonymous