How much baby food is a 7 month old supposed to eat?

For breakfast, my son has oatmeal or rice cereal mixed w/ a scoop of banana or apple baby food + 4-5oz of formula. For lunch, he has 1/2 jar of baby food + 4-5oz of formula. Later, he has another 1/2 jar + 4-5oz of baby food. Before he goes to bed, he has formula+rice cereal bottle. All the other feedings during the day are just formula. He is on stage 1 baby foods. What is the suggested age for stage 2 baby foods? Should I be feeding him the way I am or should he have more/less? Or should I just go by what he'll take...b/c it seems ok for him? I know he could eat an entire small jar...so should he eat the whole thing or no?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:48 PM on Mar. 31, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Stage 2s are fine from the beginning, actually. THey're just bigger containers... just introduce them on eat a time. (FYI and IMO stage 3s are a waste of money. You can make much better textured food than that. By the time they can eat those you can just mash up whatever you're feeding the rest of the family). I don't see what's wrong with eating a whole jar if he wants it. Just remember that at this age formula is still more important than the solids. The solids shouldn't interfere with the formula intake as a rule of thumb. Money saving tip: mash your own banana!
    EmilySusan

Answer by EmilySusan at 2:54 PM on Mar. 31, 2009

• My LO is the size of probably a 4 or 5 mo old. She is 9 mo. We eat 3 times a day 4 if we are REALLY REALLY lucky. She has 2-3 oz of fruit in the a.m. with 8 oz or more of formula. Lunch is 4-7 oz (about half veg and half fruit) of food with 4-8 oz of formula however much she will take. If I am lucky the mid afternoon snack is 8-12 oz of formula (this is usually after a growth spurt). Dinner is another 4 oz of food (2 oz veg and 2oz fruit) and 4-6 oz of formula.
    coala

Answer by coala at 3:09 PM on Mar. 31, 2009

• My son is almost 8 months old an will eat anything in sight. He eats a entire jar of stage 2 food an a 9 oz. bottle, and actually he isnt over weight for his age. Babies his age are heavier than him, so dont think he is eating too much. He eats a jar of food an a 8-9oz. bottle at breakfast lunch and dinner, and the rest are 8 oz bottles of formula and occasionaly he gets some crackers.lol.But really i guess it depends on the child how much they are supposed to eat. My pediatrician told me babies shouldnt eat that much until after they are a year old but he also says my son is perfectly fine and dont stop what im doing..Just do what you think is best for your baby, if hes hungry FEED HIM regardless of what anyone else says!!!!
    landonsmommy709

Answer by landonsmommy709 at 3:10 PM on Mar. 31, 2009

• I didnt think you were to put cereal in a bottle?
    addys.mommy.

Answer by addys.mommy. at 4:15 PM on Mar. 31, 2009

• My son will be 7 months on Thursday and right now he eats 8 oz formula when he wakes up. 4-6 oz at 9 a.m. A jar of baby food @ 11. 4-6oz @ 12. 4-6 oz @3. And then oatmeal and 8 oz at 6. We're going to start another half a jar or full jar within the next week.
    Anonymous

• wow.. That makes my 7 months old look like a pigglet lol.. My son is 7 months old and eats cereal mixed with a fruit for breakfast+6oz bottle then snacks in between because he's one the go all the time so I just keep him some snacks and when he wants them he comes to me and opens his mouth like a bird (it's so cute) then for lunch he has an full jar of stage 2 babyfood+6oz bottle then he has another jar of stage2 babyfood+6oz bottle then before bed he gets cereal mixed with a veggie and an 8oz bottle. He's crawling and cuising so he is on the go from the moment he wakes up to the moment he goes to sleep so his doctor says that why he eats so much he's not a big baby he's just healthy.. If your baby will eat the entire jar feed them that.. Never let the solids replace the formula.. if that starts to happen start giving less solids and more formula.. That are suposed to have 24-36oz a day
    TristansMommy16

Answer by TristansMommy16 at 8:31 PM on Mar. 31, 2009

• My 7 month old has a 6oz bottle when she wakes up in the morning. About 1 to 2 hours later has 2 tablespoons of cereal mixed with half container of stage 2 fruit for breakfast. Takes a nap when she wakes up I give her a 6 oz bottle. She'll have gerber puffs or cheerios, or bread mid-day. She'll have a 6 oz bottle. Dinner she has about the size of 1 full container of veggies and half container of fruit left over from breakfast. I give her veggies, fruit and noodles from our dinner that she can eat instead of baby food too. I'm going to try giving her lean pieces of meat soon. She has a 6 oz bottle before bed.
    Anonymous