• In the Spotlight:

Has anyone ever had a abnormal pap smear? What does it really mean?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:56 PM on Mar. 31, 2009 in Health

• It can mean many different things, HPV, pre cancerous cells or just that they didn't get a good sample. Take a deep breath and wait for the results of the next one.
    coala

Answer by coala at 2:59 PM on Mar. 31, 2009

• I have. It meant I had high risk HPV. I just make sure I get checked 2 times a year instead of 1 to make sure it doesn't develop into cervical cancer. I've heard that 80% of woman have HPV, but very few develop cancer from it. It often goes away on it's own. Nothing showed up on my last pap.
    nwdeserangel

Answer by nwdeserangel at 3:00 PM on Mar. 31, 2009

• I have too and this was about 14 years ago. I had it a couple times and finally i had an appointment with a Gynacologist (sp?) and he then checked me and when i saw him the second time he was going to burn the bad cells but miraculously at that appointment when i got there he told me my abnormal cells had gone away according to my last pap smear results he had got and i wasn't in the need anymore. Since then i have not had any abnormal cells and have had 3 kids! Knock on wood!
    Anonymous

• at 15 I was told I had cervical cancer and would probably never have a baby. At 17 Im in college, yes I graduated a year+ early Im a nerd, and oops Im pregnant. They repeated the tests and miraculously I had no signs of cancerous anything. Screw up in the lab or a miracle? Dont get too upset until they run other tests. It may be a screw up, I have 2 kids now, it may be mildly abnormal cells that can return to normal on their own or with some b/c pills. Ask them to repeat the test and they'll probably have u come back every 6 mos for paps for a couple years. Good luck.
    lakegeorge_mom

Answer by lakegeorge_mom at 3:08 PM on Mar. 31, 2009

• I had an abnormal one but it was due to infection. There are many reasons it can come back abnormal but always ask for further pathology on those cells to see if there's an infection or it's something more serious. I've not since had an abnormal pap.
    AudreyJ

Answer by AudreyJ at 3:17 PM on Mar. 31, 2009

• It runs in my family and typically means nothing. Usually it's one abnormal then retest and that one is normal.
    Anonymous