Anyone with a child who has a trach?

My dd best friend, 12, suffered an aneurysm, she is not doing well. She has been on a vent for 2 weeks now. They want to do a trach because they do not see her breathing on her own anytime soon and too long on a vent can be dangerous. Well cant a hole in your throat be bad too?

lakegeorge_mom

Asked by lakegeorge_mom at 3:03 PM on Mar. 31, 2009 in Kids' Health

• Google it for more concerete answers. But my uncle is a nurse and as my aunt was dying he wanted the trach done rather than the vent b/c it's safer and more comfortable. I htink it has to do with the mouth being closed and less germs getting in and easier to clean maybe. I didn't ask too may quesions. I just knew there was no point for the trech and he was just trying to hold on t whatever he could.
    Anonymous

• Oh, if the trach works out well, they let you go home, but on the vent, you must stay at the hosp or have nursing care.
    Anonymous

• I know it sounds scary to have a trach- but if she needs a vent- that's what they have to do. A tube down your throat for too long will actually damage the throat. They inflate a balloon to keep it in place and the pressure can cause too much damage after a while- so they have to try a trach. I'm sure that is the last thing she needs. They do trachs for people who will need the vent for a while. It doesn't mean it is forever- but that means they expect it to last a while.
    Anonymous

• My little one had a trach. She had it removed 2 months ago
    azpreemiemom

Answer by azpreemiemom at 6:49 PM on Jun. 24, 2010