asked this last night... but added more... need advice please!

So my ex/ baby's dad was told by some girl that conception takes two weeks. Now he's convinced that our baby is not his b/c I found out too soon after we had sex. I was 5 weeks along, and every test the dr has done has proved that I got pregnant on the day that I told him I did. So I guess my question is... how long does conception really take? Everything I've read says 2 days, but I just want to make sure I'm not going crazy. He's almost convinced me that this kid isn't his... even tho I wasn't with anyone else.

should I even bother with a paternity test? He doesn't have a job, and hasn't had one in years. I don't know what to do about this... it's getting closer every day, and I'm getting scared of the day I have to talk to him again.

emmetsmom09

Asked by emmetsmom09 at 3:03 PM on Mar. 31, 2009 in Pregnancy

• Conception can take place any time. I had a baby in july 2008 and after I had him my period was every 2 weeks, making me ovulate while I had my period and I got pregnant. So don't listen to your ex. You can get pregnant any time of the month. My friend got pregnant while on her period and her daughter is now 9. If you have your ex ask for the paternity test he'll have to pay for the test. Babies grow at all different rates so that has nothing to do with when you concieved.
    jombmomi

Answer by jombmomi at 3:30 PM on Mar. 31, 2009

• Conception takes 1-3 days but no longer (sperm can only survive in a girls body for 72 hours at most). I think the girl he was taking to was referring to ovulation. A girl ovulates about 2 weeks after the first day of her LMP.
    imamommmmyyy

Answer by imamommmmyyy at 3:09 PM on Mar. 31, 2009

• Sperm lives in the body for 3-5 days, actually. You wont get a pos pregnancy test immediately, obviously, because it can take 10-14 days for the fertilized egg to implant. BUT it doesn't take 2 weeks to conceive, that's for sure!

If he's going to be a douche, get a pat. test. For any sort of child support you would need one OR just don't put his name on the BC and ask him to sign away his rights. You wont get child support, but he wont have any say over the baby.
    celticreverie

Answer by celticreverie at 3:13 PM on Mar. 31, 2009

• the problem he has with the whole thing is that I got off my period and two days later was the day I got pregnant. My dr told him that's just how it happens. But he says it wasn't enough time. Says nothing adds up.

doesn't help that my son is huge and measures almost 5 weeks ahead... so he thinks I'm farther along than I'm telling him.
    emmetsmom09

Answer by emmetsmom09 at 3:16 PM on Mar. 31, 2009

• They go by the date of your last period so, if you found out when you were 5 weeks along, then conception was probably only about 3 weeks ago because they are going by the date of your last period. The actual conception doesn't take 2 weeks. It seems weird to calculate it this way but, that's how they do it. That's why in some pregnancy books it says for example: "12 weeks. Fetal age 10 weeks" because that is how old the baby is even though you are 12 weeks by the doctor's calcualtions. Your ex sounds like a real winner too, by the way!
    jacy3031

Answer by jacy3031 at 3:16 PM on Mar. 31, 2009

• I didn't have a pos test til I was 5 weeks... the dr confirmed it at 7 weeks with an ultrasound.
    emmetsmom09

Answer by emmetsmom09 at 3:18 PM on Mar. 31, 2009

• I found out I was pregnant 3 weeks after conception. My friend was the same way.
    vickwu

Answer by vickwu at 3:27 PM on Mar. 31, 2009