Why the 7th month?

So i am having to pay for this pregnancy out of pocket. private insurance doesn't cover pregnancy, and denied for medicaid and chip due to over income limits. Every doctor i have called has to have payment in full by the 7 th month. I am already about 20 weeks, and only have about$1000.00 saved. And they all say that my first visit is anywhere betweet $400-500.00 and that does not go towards the $3000.00 to cover the pregnancy. So i havn't been going to the doctor because i can't find one that will take payments pass the 7th month. I have been onece to the doctor that i wanted to use, but her fee didn't include labs and ultrasounds, so i havn't got to go back and i had to pay $300.00 the time i was there and all she did was an ultrasound. I didn't even get undressed. I was in there like 10 minutes. And she coulndt confrim the due date on her screen.Why is the 7th month the deadline when we are pregnant for almost 10 months.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:04 PM on Mar. 31, 2009 in Pregnancy

• That sounds so strange to me that private insurance wouldn't cover pregnancy! What I would do is go to planned parenthood to see if there was anything they could do for you. If anything, they can give you exams and things for a discounted rate. I think- I;m not sure but, I would definitely check into it. It is just crazy that you are paying for private insurance and it won't cover pregnancy!?!?!
    jacy3031

Answer by jacy3031 at 3:09 PM on Mar. 31, 2009

• You are not pregnant almost 10 months, for one thing lol. It is definitely 9 months long, there are 4.3 weeks in a month, not exactly 4. :)

Anyways, have you considered looking into a homebirth midwife? While alot do require to be paid in full by 36 weeks, they are also a lot cheaper then a hospital birth + OB visits. (here prices range from 1500 dollars, to 3000 dollars including delivery and prenatal care).

celticreverie

Answer by celticreverie at 3:10 PM on Mar. 31, 2009

• Look into a midwife instead if this is a low risk pregnancy. Their fees are usually a lot less. I am not sure why they would insist on paying it off by month 7. We are on a 12 month payment plan with our midwives and it won't be paid off until baby is 4 or 5 months old.
    riotgrrl

Answer by riotgrrl at 3:11 PM on Mar. 31, 2009

• The majority of Dr's want it paid in full by the '7th month' because lots of women deliver before 40 weeks. They want to make sure they get all their money.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 3:13 PM on Mar. 31, 2009

You are pregnant for 40 weeks, and not all months are 4.3 weeks long. My doctor with my first gave me a website about it and it also says pregnant a total of 10 months from conception. I will be back in a minute and post the link
    Anonymous

• You can post the link, it's 9 months. On average pregnancy is 40-42 weeks long. You can not divide by 10 because you get an even 4. So that would mean every month was 28 days long, and the only TRUE month that is 4 weeks is February. It's simple math. 40 /4.3 makes 9. Some months are 4.2 weeks long as well. Either way you have to calculate an extra 2-3 days to that month. Making pregnancy 9 months long.
    celticreverie

Answer by celticreverie at 3:16 PM on Mar. 31, 2009

• The books and doctors say that it is closer to 10 months than 9 months.
    jacy3031

Answer by jacy3031 at 3:18 PM on Mar. 31, 2009

• Then someone didn't do math. There are 52 weeks in a year. 40 weeks of pregnancy. 52-40 = 12 weeks. 12 weeks = 3 months. You can't be pregnant for 10 months, and not pregnant for 3! Otherwise years would be 13 months not 12.
    celticreverie

Answer by celticreverie at 3:22 PM on Mar. 31, 2009

• I guess celticreverie knows more than the doctors and the books. So anyways to avoid an argument. I guess it is just to make sure the get there money befroe the baby is due incare is comes early. Although when i had my first, my regular doctor that we had paid wasn't even there to deliver my baby. That really aggrevated me. That was part of the fee.
    Anonymous

• Actually anon, I have never been told or read that pregnancy is close to ten months. No need to get all snotty about it lol. But anyone who does basic math can't honestly believe it's a 10 month pregnancy. My doctor, my midwife friend, my naturopath and my OB with Becka all say 9 months. So do the books I read.
    celticreverie

Answer by celticreverie at 3:26 PM on Mar. 31, 2009