ADHD

I really would like to have another baby. but, with my son having adhd and he's only 3. I just dont think i will ever be able to if i know i will have another one with adhd. my husband and I both have adhd. So do you think that our next kid will also?

alc03

Asked by alc03 at 3:05 PM on Mar. 31, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• I dont know if your next child will have ADHD, but chances are good he/she will. I can tell you from a mom who has 3 kids and the youngest age 7 who is ADHD, it is very hard dealing with normal everyday things, I spend so much time on him, keeping him safe, dealing with the school, homework, meltdowns etc. that I could not imagine having another child with or without ADHD younger than him. My sons older siblings sometimes feel left out because he takes up so much of my time and energy. He was kicked out of daycare at age 3, suspended from school etc..Please do not bash, until you have a special needs child it is hard to understand. Now on a good note, as my son ages and matures he is getting better, fewer meltdowns, less trouble at school and home, not as hyperactive, not as dangerous as he once was with his impulsivness etc..but it is still a challenge everyday to insure others treat him the way he should be.
    midnightmoma

Answer by midnightmoma at 3:20 PM on Mar. 31, 2009

• Three years old is awfully young to determine if a child has ADHD. I thought most doctors didn't do all the testing until age 5?

"Family and twin studies of ADHD have yielded important information regarding the relative role of genetic versus environmental influences in ‘where one falls’ on the ADHD susceptibility continuum. For example, when one child in a family has ADHD, about 20 - 25% of the time a second child will also have the condition, in contrast to a population frequency of 3 - 5%. About 15 - 40% of parents of ADHD children are affected with ADHD compared to about 3 - 7 % in the general population. This approximate five-fold increase in ADHD among first-degree relatives (who share 50% of their genes in common compared to the general population) suggests that genes play a significant role."
    ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 3:10 PM on Mar. 31, 2009

• ReneeK3