Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

How early can you start asking for child support from an ex?

Im prego now but without his income I have nothing at all. Im living with my mother right now and she is having money troubles and with me moving in and the baby coming its gonna get worse. can I start taking him to court now?


Asked by Alysia_Moore at 3:05 PM on Mar. 31, 2009 in Money & Work

Level 12 (688 Credits)
This question is closed.
Answers (8)
  • If you go to the county for help they can make him start paying them. You can go to WIC now to get milk, cereal, eggs, peanut butter etc. That will help some. Sit down with him if you can, tell him if the county goes after him he'll pay alot back to them and it will be garnished from his wages. If he agrees to a set amount then you can avoid all the extra hassle, including court fees they would make him pay. My bil has a 21 year old son and is still paying back all the support to california from when his x was on assistance more than 12 years ago!! Thousands upon thousands....

    Answer by lakegeorge_mom at 3:12 PM on Mar. 31, 2009

  • This is probably going to vary on a state by state basis. In my state, you can't start child support proceedings through the courts until the baby is actually born. If you are on decent terms, you could ask him for help now.

    Answer by riotgrrl at 3:08 PM on Mar. 31, 2009

  • No, isn't here yet. a lot will depend on if he signs the birth certificate. If he does it will be much easier to get an order for support. If not, then proving paternity comes in to play.

    Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 3:09 PM on Mar. 31, 2009

  • I would because you know how long the court system takes?

    Answer by lily7 at 3:09 PM on Mar. 31, 2009

  • If he agrees the baby is his. Now I would think. But usualy after the baby is born and you DNA the baby and go to court.

    Answer by louise2 at 3:11 PM on Mar. 31, 2009

  • You get child support for the child once it is born from the date that the ex moved out of your home. If the child hasn't been born yet they don't have to pay child support but do have to pay half of the medical expenses for the delivery and prenatal care. That's how it works here any way!

    Answer by Anonymous at 8:18 PM on Mar. 31, 2009

  • If he admits to being the father, then you get it when it's ordered by the court after babys born...if he doesn't admit to it or sign the birth certificate...usually if you're the one to take him to court to order the support, you pay the court fees. I went thru this with my DH.

    Answer by calliesmommie at 8:30 PM on Mar. 31, 2009

  • not till the baby is born but you can get PA since you are pregnant and can file once the baby is born.

    Answer by miss_nevin at 8:49 PM on Mar. 31, 2009