Why give pitbulls a bad name when it is the owners fault!!

Pit bulls have been given a bad rap! A lot of people say oh its just because of the breed! Thats not true! Its the owners that treat them bad!! The ones that teach them to attack other living things. In all dog breeds I have seen plenty of owners teach the animal to be a mean machine!
You never owned one then stop saying they are all evil!
I know plenty that are GREAT with kids. My child grew up with a pit since my baby was a newborn. My child would pull the ears and poke the eyes and the pit would just sit there and take it.

If you had a pit share your story
If your scared of them understand that the bad ones were taught to be bad.
If we come together and share our stories maybe it could change the way some people look at pits...
whats your story?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:24 PM on Mar. 31, 2009 in Pets

• My pit is a lick monster! She wouldn't hurt a fly...well she might kill it with licks..
    Anonymous

• I was raised with 2 pits, they were great, I have pics of myself and sister sleeping with them etc...they were great.... Rotties also have a bad rap.
    You cant tie a dog up in the backyard and not socialize them and expect them to be good.
    midnightmoma

Answer by midnightmoma at 3:29 PM on Mar. 31, 2009

• I agree that the training of any dog contributes to how they will act with humans. I am afraid of them, and unfortunately it is because of the bad publicity. However if I came across one and the owner assured me the dog was fine, I would treat it like any other dog. I dislike terriers too, it is because they are yippy. Some breeds I do not like because they were trained to kill rodents and so they also go after other small animals and children.

I will say it is hard to keep an open mind about pitbulls, german shepherds, doberman pinchers and rottweilers. When you see them all on "judgement row" at the humane society...
    Anonymous

• LOL, WELL I DONT HAVE ANY DOGS, AS HUBBY IS ANTI POOP..LOL, BUT MY BEST FRIEND HAS A PIT NAMED LEAH.. SHE IS HUGE, OVER 100 POUNDS AND STILL THINKS SHE IS A LIL PUPPY! I CANT GO TO HER HOUSE ANYMORE BECAUSE I AM 35 WEEKS PREGO AND THIS DOG STILL THINKS SHE IS A LAP DOG..HAHA.. SHE IS THE BEST, HAS NEVER BIT ANYONE OR ANY ANIMAL, LETS MY 2 YEAR OLD AND THERE 3 YEAR OLD JUMP ON HER AND PLAY WITH HER.. SHES THE BEST.. I THINK ITS ALL THE OWNERS FAULT WHEN SOMETHING GOES WRONG.. ITS NOT THE DOG!
    GaBrIeLlEsMaMa

Answer by GaBrIeLlEsMaMa at 3:32 PM on Mar. 31, 2009

• Thats how my husbands pit was a lick monster lol!! the only time she get mad is when I was pregnant and my dh would try to snap me with a towel. She get in the middle and bark at him! lol she protected me!! She wouldnt hurt anybody though!
    momavanessa

Answer by momavanessa at 3:33 PM on Mar. 31, 2009

• Well I had two pit bulls(from pups) we loved them so much they were around children all the time. Not once were they ever hit or taught to attack, but one day they got the pregnant cat and ripped her to shreads. They were so proud they kept dragging her out of the garbage can as a gift to me. They loved humans but as far as other animals go I would never trust a pit around my dog or cat. So the whole raising them to be mean thing is out the window there.
    Fordmomma

Answer by Fordmomma at 4:18 PM on Mar. 31, 2009

• My uncle have 2 pits and 2 cats and its weird. Since the cats help the dogs find food. They never get into it. The cats fight each other thats it.
    Anonymous

• im not a pitbull hater but i had a bad experience with one. my brother had one named cindy for a couple years & cindy was his baby! very sweet ! loved cats, loved squirells and loved kids -loved everything!!. but one day like any other day i went over there with my daughter & we came through the back gate & cindy came over with her tailing wagging, licking us & was being its usual sweet self up until my daughter opened the back door & cindy snarled & ran at her with its teath bare so my daughter ran inside then she quickly turned to me & lunged at me , i ducked out of the way & jumped the fence before anything happend. sadly cindy had to be shot 5 months later because she turned on my brother & nobody could get her off of him. its just shows you no matter how sweet natured a dog is & no matter how well they know you, they still can snap. I dont look down on the breed, i just dont feel comfortable near them anymo
    Kayge

Answer by Kayge at 4:45 PM on Mar. 31, 2009

• It's a nature vs. nurture arguement. Yes, how you nuture a dog is very important but it's nature and for what traits it's breed has been bred continuously for are also important. There are some lovely pitts out there, I'm sure. The fact of the matter is, humans not only have had a poor impact on an individual dog AND the breed's reputation but they've had a poor impact on the GENETICS of the breed. Many pitts simply have poor genetics. It isn't the pitt's fault but it DOES make them more prone to violence than other dogs might be. Even the AKC reckognises that certain dogs breeds have certain traits. No one dog is a "blank" slate and however they act is just because their owner "must have" treated them badly.

I've worked in two ERs and have run on ambulances. Out of all of the attacks on children, people and pets that I've heard of or cared for, the dog has ALWAYS been a pitt bull or once or twice a German Shepherd
    NovemberLove

Answer by NovemberLove at 4:50 PM on Mar. 31, 2009

• It's gotten to the point where most states have at least a few laws outlining ownership of pitts. Many shelters euthanize them and will not offer them for adoption (even though there is a demand for them) because of the liability to their staff and the potential adoptees.

I agree, it isn't fair. To those concerned about it, instead of just demanding that people give pitts a chance, why not work to change the genetics of the breed? Support breeders that are working to bring out the good characteristics of the dog and minimizing the aggressive characteristics of the dog. Donate to places that rehabilitate. Donate and support places that prosecute those who have bred and continued the poor genetic sharing of pitt bulls for their violence. CHANGE the fact that pitt bulls CAN be dangerous. :-)
    NovemberLove

Answer by NovemberLove at 4:53 PM on Mar. 31, 2009