Would eating 1,000 calories a day put your body in starvation mode?

I know in order to lose weight, the average person should eat 1,200-1,400 calories a day with a 500 calorie deficit. Meaning if you eat 1,200, you should burn 1,700.
I don't eat very much, I never have. Not on purpose, it's just how I am. I get full really easily. I'm trying to lose weight right now, and I don't want to deprive myself of too many calories and cause my body to store them, then end up gaining the weight back. But if I eat 1,000 a day I won't have to work out as much.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:29 PM on Mar. 31, 2009 in Health

• That is really not good for your body. Your body will lose weight faster if you are living a healthy lifestyle - good eating habits and working out. Maybe you need to look at what you are eating when you do eat a meal. The calorie count is important but not nearly as important as what's in those calories. Do not cut back to only 1,000 calories a day. That will cause even more problems.
    DDry

Answer by DDry at 3:37 PM on Mar. 31, 2009

• YES!!! 1,000 calories is not enough to maintain your normal body functions! It's dangerous to take in that amount. I believe that the minimum amout anyone should take in is 1250 a day. Also, the "calorie defiect" of 500 calories just means to take 500 calories off of what you normally would have to eat to maintain your current wieght. For most women, that's somewhere between 1800 and 2400 calories a day. (It varies due to your current weight and normal activity level.) Then, if you're working out, you need to consume slightly more calories to "fuel" your body during your workouts.
    amy_k_in_pa

Answer by amy_k_in_pa at 3:53 PM on Mar. 31, 2009

• Daily Calorie Deficit represents how many more calories you burn in a day than you eat. If you eat 2,500 and burn 3,000, your deficit will be 500.

Anonymous

• So eating 1,200 is fine? Or 1,250?
    Anonymous

• I work with anorexic patients at a hospital here, I am a nutritionist, and I will tell you right now, if you eat as little as 1000 cals a day your body will feel as if it is starving and it will actually do what you don't want it to do, it will hold onto that food and store it (as fat) since you are not giving it what it should have.
    Your proper calorie intake depends on your weight/height, and your daily activity level.
    If you ever have any questions feel free to send me a message!
    Good luck with everything!
    -Jenny
    jd705

Answer by jd705 at 4:12 PM on Apr. 2, 2009

• It depends on what you weigh. If you have a lot to lose, that is NO way enough calories.. Don't ever go under 1200 though. Go to fitday.com or sparkpeople.com---they'll set you up with the right formula. It's free.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 4:55 AM on Apr. 5, 2009