A year off of preschool?

My son is going to be 4 years and 9 months next fall. He is currently enrolled in his second year of preschool. I am considering taking next year off and spending the time with him taking classes such as karate, swimming,ect.. I also would like to start a preschool book club and have other ideas to keep us involved. My question is, what is everyone's opinion on the idea of the year off school and then kindergarten the following year?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:30 PM on Mar. 31, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• I am doing the same with my daughter, I think you just need to educate them a little everyday.
    Anonymous

• I think it needs to be a personal choice. It depends on your child. Remember the academics are only part of it. The social side is important too. If your child will still have a lot of time with other children, then maybe it won't be so bad. Maybe you can talk to the school and ask them about it. His teacher should have a good idea of how he will do in kindergarten and if a year away from everything will be okay. Do they have a part-time program he could do?
    DDry

Answer by DDry at 3:35 PM on Mar. 31, 2009

• I will be doing a variation.
    My daughter will be starting her first year of preschool in the fall but will be going just 2 days a week. The other days, we will be taking mommy & me classes, going to the zoo or on other little adventures, or just having silly times at home.
    The next year (her second and last year of preschool), I'll enroll her for just 3 days a week. Again, so we can keep doing the fun things, the extra classes and activities. She'll still get the interaction with other kids in a structured enviornment, still have the routine and reinforcement of following school rules and listening to the teacher but will still have lots of time to do other things too.
    After that, we don't really have a choice - 13 years of school 5 days a week with any extra classes or activities squeezed in after school.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 4:28 PM on Mar. 31, 2009

• My 3 year old goes to preschool 3 hours each morning 4 days a week. Mostly so he gets the interaction with other kids. He's learning a lot too! Next school year (when he's 4) he is going to go 3 hours each morning 5 days a week, then kindergarten the next year. I don't want him in school all day, I still want to spend time with him, but I do want to prepare him for what Kindergarten is going to be like. But there are lots of things that you can do on your own to give him interaction with other kids if you decide to keep him home for a year. I'm not going to lie though, I enjoy that 3 hours that I get to myself each morning. My son is awesome, but I like just a little time for me and I love spending the rest of the day with him. But do what feels right to you!
    slw123

Answer by slw123 at 8:31 PM on Mar. 31, 2009

• That is entirely up to you. Nobody knows what is best for your child than you. At this stage it is very easy to buy a book and devote some time for activity sheets like colors, shapes, concepts, etc. the important thing is if you provide plenty of opportunities for your child to socialize with his peers, increase his skills and readiness for the next grade while having fun with you, I say go for it just make sure that there is a balance and that he can adapt to the "more structured environment" when you decide that the time is right for him to get back to school.
    bebita

Answer by bebita at 10:09 PM on Mar. 31, 2009