I am not sure what to do about putting my son in pre-school he will be 4 years old in January but school where we live at starts in Sept.

I am not sure what to do. is someone here with the same problem? and know what to do?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:35 PM on Mar. 31, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• just wait a year
    Anonymous

• I'm not certain what your question is.
    Are you wondering if you should put him in preschool in the fall - when he will be 3 years old? If you want to, sure. My little girl will be turning 3 in July and will be going to preschool a couple days a week starting in the fall - most schools, no matter the age range, start in the fall.

To help you decide, talk to the teachers at the school you have chosen. They see lots of new kids every year and they know exactly how well they do. They can help you figure out if your little guy is ready and will do fine.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 4:06 PM on Mar. 31, 2009

• Do you want him to have two years of preschool or one? If only one, then wait until Sept 2010 to start preschool, then kindergarten 2011.

If you want him to have two years of preschool, then start him this fall.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 7:23 PM on Mar. 31, 2009

• well I didnt think of that (2 years of pre-school) and I didnt want to start him in 2010 in pre-school cause he will be 4 then when when fall comes he will be 4 1/2 and he will be 5 and he should have been in kindergarden..this is just hard for me lol i guess i will just talk to the teacher at the school i think i am going to put him in. Thats my best bet lol.
    Anonymous

• You also need to find out what your school districts cut off date is. Just because your son will turn 5 during the school year does not mean he should be in kindergarten that year. Most schools require that a child be 5 by some point in September. Some go as late as early December. I've never heard of one accepting a child who's birthday is in January.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 1:14 AM on Apr. 1, 2009

• my twions are starting prek/kindergarten at our temple's school..they will be going to pre k for the first half of the year and then K the second half, starting 1st grade in 2010...they will be 4 Sept 7, and starting school on August 5 (I think)
    shivasgirl

Answer by shivasgirl at 1:37 AM on Apr. 1, 2009

• Well, are you talking about public or private school?

Most public schools don't let them start kindergarten mid year. As kaycee mentioned, they have cut off dates and if his birthday is after the cutoff date, he'll have to wait unitl 2011 to start kindergarten anyway.

My second son turns 5 in December 2010 and has to wait until 2011 to start school...the same year as his younger brother who has a birthday before the cut off!

My oldest just turned 5 this past February. He is starting Kindergarten this coming September.

If a private school, then yes you'll have to speak to the school to know if they let them start kindergarten mid year. That would be an interesting situation considering how far the other kindergarteners will be mid-year. I'm not sure how I'd feel about that...hmmmm....
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 5:58 AM on Apr. 1, 2009

• I have had both my boys in nursery school. My oldest started when he was 3 and went until he was 5 and my youngest started at 2 and he will be 4 in the summer and this is his last year. Here where I live there is Jr. Kindergarten and Sr. Kindergarten and the JK's in September are kids that were born in 2005, so my almost 4 year old starts in the Fall (my oldest wasn't ready for JK so he just went to nursery school for that year and started SK this year). Nursery school IS the BEST thing I could of done for both of them! They have learn so much not just academically - but they are both now very social with other kids, the social skills they get from nursery school is wonderful, they are both very confident little boys from attending nursery school and their fine and gross motor skills have developed early from all the activities that the nursery school does with them.
    I would say for sure put your child in preschool!
    jd705

Answer by jd705 at 4:02 PM on Apr. 2, 2009

• It doesn't matter if your child is 5 1/2 or 5 exactly when he starts school. Its about being emotionally ready. Quite often, for first born children and boys, starting later is better.
    DawnA72

Answer by DawnA72 at 12:42 AM on Apr. 3, 2009