My son will be 3 in June and is still sleeping with mommy and daddy. How so I get him to stay in his own bed with out him throwing a huge fit?

kathycompton

Asked by kathycompton at 3:42 PM on Mar. 31, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Make a huge deal about his big boy bed. If possible bring him to the store and let him pick it out.

This will help him cope with leaving you because he is a "big boy" now.
    brannen

Answer by brannen at 3:58 PM on Mar. 31, 2009

• I bought my son new sheets and a comforter that he wanted and within 2 weeks he was sleeping in it all night by himself without me even pushing him. I would also try a humidifier in the room if you have one. the sound is very soothing for children
    caitlin.tolcher

Answer by caitlin.tolcher at 4:05 PM on Mar. 31, 2009

• I have the same problem and nothing has worked for me, so when you find a solution, plz, let me know! Thx!
    Savsmama07

Answer by Savsmama07 at 4:25 PM on Mar. 31, 2009

• This may be hard! He has probably been sleeping there for the last 3 years. I cant talk I am cosleeping with my one year old! I would start by letting him help pick his new big boy bed. They have some really cute ones for little boys like race cars. He may be excited. Let him help pick out sheets and blankets have him pick a fluffy pillow he likes. Tell him how proud of him you are that he is becoming a big boy. Then when its time for a few nights you may have to sit beside his bed to make sure he tays in it and falls asleep. The time should be shorter and shorter each night that you may have to do this. Also if he is going to his own room he may need a night lite.
    okmommy08

Answer by okmommy08 at 5:42 PM on Mar. 31, 2009

• supper nanny says let them throw their fits and you just keep putting them back in there beds with out saying a word. It may take days and hours but eventually they will get the idea, and you sit in the floor in there room while all of this is going on and when they fall asleep, you then sneak out? not sure if it works, but i cant bring myself to do this, i dont want them to fall asleep crying!
    jesussaves424

Answer by jesussaves424 at 6:58 PM on Mar. 31, 2009

• I had the same issue with my daughter and learned to not do the same with my second child, It wasn't until she was 6 years old that she really got used to sleeping in her own bed, And sometimes still ask's to sleep with mommy and daddy! I would try starting out with putting their bed mattress beside your bed for a couple nights to let them get used to the feel of sleeping in their own bed, If he/she crawls in the bed with you at night put them back in their bed. It's something that you are going to have to work with for a while, after about the 2nd or 3rd night move the bed in to their very own room. Don't be surprised if your child gets out of bed "Many" times, Stick to your guns and keep putting him/her back in their room. Eventually they will get tired of it and realize that you aren't going to change your mind. And they will get used to the fact of sleeping in their own bed. They will probably cry but stick to your guns!
    mesmerizing2008

Answer by mesmerizing2008 at 10:29 AM on Apr. 1, 2009