Is this Rude?

My daughter's neice and her mom spends alot of time over at our house (19 months old and my daughter is almost 2); they are here practically every day and spend at least 4 nights per week with us.

Well, I am a SAHM and boy does it get exhausting cleaning up after so many people. My boyfriend's grown sons also live with us. So basically I clean up after 5 adults and two toddlers. Not to mention cooking for everyone.

Would it be rude of me to ask for help picking up the toys each night? My daughter helps pick them up but her neice just continues making messes. My boyfriend says that it would be very rude of me to ask for help cleaning up since it is our home and my responsibilies as a SAHM.

What do you ladies think?

texasgurl33

Asked by texasgurl33 at 3:56 PM on Mar. 31, 2009 in Relationships

• they wouldn't be hanging at my house without helping. They'd have to pick up after themselves and cook at least one night a week! Tell them they are not at the Hilton with maid service!

Answer by admckenzie at 5:16 PM on Mar. 31, 2009

• NOT RUDE AT ALL. I THINK IT IS RUDE OF THEM NOT TO HELP YOU.
    BellasMommy2005

Answer by BellasMommy2005 at 4:00 PM on Mar. 31, 2009

• yeah i would ask for help. if they spend that much time at your house they are not just guests anymore and should clean up after themselves
    nudge08

Answer by nudge08 at 4:01 PM on Mar. 31, 2009

• Ask for help!!! Definitely NOT RUDE =]
    kylesboo

Answer by kylesboo at 4:02 PM on Mar. 31, 2009

• Not rude, it's just maners, It's alot nicer than saying get out of my house you slobs
    Anonymous

• I think that the amount of time these folks spend in your house disqualifies them from the "guest" category. Sounds like they practically live there, and if they had manners, they would help you clean up EVERY NIGHT. You're not the one who needs to worry about being rude. You have been MORE than hospitable. They need to mind their manners and help clean up the messes they've made. And it wouldn't be rude of you to ask for some help in the kitchen, either. You are NOT a servant, and shouldn't be made to feel like one.
    Jodie118

Answer by Jodie118 at 4:11 PM on Mar. 31, 2009

• They should offer to help. When you start to pick up, ask her to do a specific part of it- Would you mind picking up the toys in the bedroom, please? something like that - not a general request for help, just a specific task.

Answer by Bmat at 4:26 PM on Mar. 31, 2009

• They should clean up after themselves, and their kids. They are being rude.
    4theLoveofLovey

Answer by 4theLoveofLovey at 4:29 PM on Mar. 31, 2009

• If I'm at someones house and my child makes a mess with their child, I would definitely have my child help clean up or if they are not old enough to, I would help clean. That's just good manners. Even if it was the first time we ever visited, I would still offer to help. Just because you are a SAHM, that doesn't make you responsible for cleaning up after other people's children.
    Anonymous

• not rude! They should help you.
    BabyBeans0506

Answer by BabyBeans0506 at 5:17 PM on Mar. 31, 2009