• In the Spotlight:

Exorcism

Since today seems to be the day for questions regarding the paranormal, I thought I'd throw this one in.

What are your thoughts on exorcism? Do you think it's more like "The Exorcist" or "Emily Rose" or do you think that it's less dramatic than that? Do you believe that it helps or hinders a situation? Who do you think can do an exorcism?

jennijune_21

Asked by jennijune_21 at 4:09 PM on Mar. 31, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• I think if the problem is truly a spiritual one and NOT a mental one that exorcisms can be useful... But, most the time the issues are not spiritual ones.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 4:57 PM on Mar. 31, 2009

• I think you can exorcise a spirit, any person with the problem can do it. There are spirits out there that need to be crossed over.
    jeanclaudia

Answer by jeanclaudia at 4:32 PM on Mar. 31, 2009

• Only Jesus Christ Himself, no one else in history drove demons out of people except the twelve Apostles and they were given that power by Him to be a Witness for Him. And no, peoples souls don't "pass over" they are either in heaven or hell until the Day of Judgement. A bunch of superstitious lies~
    lilhoney

Answer by lilhoney at 5:09 PM on Mar. 31, 2009

• A bunch of superstitious lies~

Let's please leaave personal remarks about other's beliefs out of it, if you don't mind.  I'm just looking for opinions, not debates.

jennijune_21

Answer by jennijune_21 at 5:13 PM on Mar. 31, 2009

• I don't believe spirits acutally inhabit bodies. I think it's mental illness, but if they really think they are possessed, then an exorcism will probably cure them of their delusion.
    IhartU

Answer by IhartU at 5:14 PM on Mar. 31, 2009

• The truth is the truth, don't ask a question and then refuse an honest answer because it offends you.
    lilhoney

Answer by lilhoney at 5:28 PM on Mar. 31, 2009

• Answered at 4:28 PM on Mar. 31, 2009 by: lilhoney
    The truth is the truth, don't ask a question and then refuse an honest answer because it offends you.

It doesn't offend me in the least. I just prefer that personal comments be left out of this. It's not a debate question. And besides, your truth might not be everyone's truth.
    jennijune_21

Answer by jennijune_21 at 5:33 PM on Mar. 31, 2009

• Lilhoney - Just FYI...There's actually a bit of misunderstanding with Jesus and demons. See, people then claimed everything to be because of demons, simply because they didn't know any better. Of course, we know now that medical disabilities are just that, medical disabilities, not demon related. The other thing is, when Jesus cast out the seven demons he was actually cleansing the seven chakras. Nothing more. ANYONE can do that given a little bit of training.

OP - I, too think that stories like "The Exorist" are about people with mental disorders, not anything denomic. Although our spirit CAN become a bit cloudy from time to time and this CAN lead to medical problems so in a lot of ways the two are connected. And I really think that performing an exorcism really is about cleansing the spirit and the energy field around a person.
    jenettyshome

Answer by jenettyshome at 5:44 PM on Mar. 31, 2009

• it was real it did happen to her
    Anonymous