Do you worry

I just wondering do any of you worry all the time i have been told that i am to over protective I keep my boys close and always know where there at i dont leave them with anyone thats not family and even then i check on them during the day this world is so crazy i even check up on them at school am i too over protective or is this world really that bad

charmed1727

Asked by charmed1727 at 4:14 PM on Mar. 31, 2009 in General Parenting

• I think that it is a good thing that you are so careful. You just have to make sure you loosen up a little as they get older, or they will feel stifled, and in turn, rebel. Good luck!
    twocutetwins09

Answer by twocutetwins09 at 4:16 PM on Mar. 31, 2009

• I'm right there with you, a proud neurotic parent. I would rather go gray, have worry lines, and have people think I need to lighten up, than risk my child's safety. I hope I can lighten up as they get a little older, and that I will be a good judge of what responsibility they are ready for. But for right now, I check on them a hundred times a night, spy on them at school, and make sure they are always within my arm's reach when we're out.
    Jodie118

Answer by Jodie118 at 4:20 PM on Mar. 31, 2009

• Only because you asked, but you do seem a little overprotective to me. I tend to go the opposite way... I don't worry about much. I just have faith that I have made the correct choices regarding my children and that they are being kept safe and sound even if I'm not there. I believe worry just attracts what you fear.
    Silvertears1275

Answer by Silvertears1275 at 4:23 PM on Mar. 31, 2009

• I think parenting (like life ) is all about balancing. I know that some parents looking at me from the outside would think I'm super laid back and don't worry and don't realize that on the inside I am TOTALLY FREAKING OUT and constantly reminding myself that they need to learn to be strong and confident children and that my fears WILL rub off on them.
    and I have to admit that I do also submit to the philosophy that you can attract what you fear so I tend to be laid back and try to just have faith.
    I know those who I let my kids go out with and right now they are honestly too young to go anywhere but when I have let them go play I just call 1x to make sure everything is cool and let the mom know I'm available and let it go.
    MamiJaAyla

Answer by MamiJaAyla at 4:44 PM on Mar. 31, 2009

• You do seem a little overprotective, ease up a little. I was like that and it hurt my son more than it helped. He was afraid to do things with his friends, he wouldn't go to birthday parties or to other people's houses to play with his friends. He only went if I was there. He had to learn how to be independent of me, I taught him stranger danger, good/bad touches, and then I hoped for the best. He is almost 13 and still goes away from me rarely. I want him to be with his friends and having fun. I encourage my son to do things with his friends but he is too attached to me. He does things with his "papa Jeffy" (my ex bf-not his father) but that is because he trusts Jeff and is comfortable with him.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 4:51 PM on Mar. 31, 2009

• Your kids would say you are too overprotective~when they are safe.

Your kids would say you didn't protect them well enough~if they fall into the hands of evil people.

You need to be as vigilant as possible. Don't relax your standards just because others standards are lax.
    timelessglass

Answer by timelessglass at 5:15 PM on Mar. 31, 2009

• IMO you are being too over protective, your kids are safe at school, if something was wrong the school will call you. I understand wanting to protect your kids but you need to let them be kids and loosen the apron strings a little bit.
    sammiesmom2000

Answer by sammiesmom2000 at 6:48 PM on Mar. 31, 2009