Do you have all out battles with you kid?

Me and my 2 year old son, every once in a while, will have an all out battle for control. He kicks, screams, hits,pinches, runs aways, throws things, and generally is just as out of control as he can be. But its always over something dumb. Like I"ll tell him he can't have something like another cookie or something and he'll just freak.
I don't know what will bring these fits on or how to stop them. They last about 30 mins to an hour usually where he just hates me. He won't let me hold him or touch him and screams and is horrible.
I"m not sure how to handle this anymore. I've resorted to either locking him in his room, which is baby proffed, and I"m in there with him. or If in public I strap him into his carseat and let him throw his fit.
What do you do or what would you reccomend? I'm at my wits end with this kid. q

lstrickland

Asked by lstrickland at 4:23 PM on Mar. 31, 2009 in General Parenting

• Do NOT respond. Let him throw his fit and when he is done, make him help clean up his messes. Don't try to hold or comfort him, just let him have his fit. It should pass but keep watching the aggressiveness because there could be issues there that he doesn't have control over.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 4:54 PM on Mar. 31, 2009

• Don't give any response, thats what he's looking for. He is looking for a power battle, and you seem like you are giving it to him. Just ignore it and be the boss. Sit him down in the corner and MAKE him stay there. You are the boss, no matter what. Make sure he knows that before he gets older or you are going to have bigger problems. Good Luck!
    twocutetwins09

Answer by twocutetwins09 at 4:28 PM on Mar. 31, 2009

• I would also try giving him options. Instead of saying "no" try saying "yes" in a different way. Instead of "Don't jump on the couch" try "You can jump on these pillows". Also, turn your back on him, walk away and give the fit ZERO attention. He will calm himself and come to you. When you try to hold him, kiss him , talk to him..you're feeding the monster.
    kara_g.

Answer by kara_g. at 4:32 PM on Mar. 31, 2009

• ^^^^ agreed.
    twocutetwins09

Answer by twocutetwins09 at 4:35 PM on Mar. 31, 2009

• the more you say and the more attention you give the longer it will go on. Just let him ride it out. Choices are good but a bit late when they start to go off. This too will pass I promise, just keep on him so he doesn't get the impression he has won.
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 4:40 PM on Mar. 31, 2009

• If you are home I would ignore him when he throws a tantrum, once you're not paying attention to him he will stop, out in public is a different matter, I would never allow my kids to throw a fit in public, if they tried they got spanked.
    sammiesmom2000

Answer by sammiesmom2000 at 6:36 PM on Mar. 31, 2009