Is this stealing?? Please, any advise would really help.

Ok, so my DH and I went out of town with the kids and my MIL stayed at our house. I was selling a playhouse for $150 and the lady wanted to come by while we were gone so I had my MIL collect the money. When I got home, I looked all over the house for it. DH said MIL had put it in a drawer. Well, it wasn't in any drawer. DH said a couple days later that MIL had taken it with her because she had left the garage door open by accident and was afraid someone might get in the house and take it. It rained for a few days and DH said that MIL would bring the money by after it cleared up. When the weather cleared, MIL never came. Then, my DH finally tells me that he told MIL that the money would "more than likely" be hers for watching the house and careing for our animals. Plus, DH says that the money is all coming from the same place and that he would give it to me. I haven't spoken to DH in a week because I am so mad. Overreacting?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:27 PM on Mar. 31, 2009 in Relationships

• That is very disappointing, but your husband has put an end to the issue by telling her to keep the money. You won't be able to get it back now. Tell him why you are upset and then let it drop.

Answer by Bmat at 4:30 PM on Mar. 31, 2009

• I'm not sure I'd say stealing. It was dishonest for sure. I would be PO'd.
    riotgrrl

Answer by riotgrrl at 4:28 PM on Mar. 31, 2009

• It's really presumptuous on both the part of your DH and your MIL, but I don't think it qualifies as stealing.
    Jodie118

Answer by Jodie118 at 4:30 PM on Mar. 31, 2009

• thats stealing and by someone you trust, she wouldn't watch my house again , she's too exspensive.
    NicholeAT

Answer by NicholeAT at 4:34 PM on Mar. 31, 2009

• The real question is why he would let her keep it and NOT tell you she could keep it.
    I would be pissed because he let you wonder about when she was going to give it to you and told you she put it in a drawer and that she would bring it later and that when the rain cleared it would come. It just seems like a lot of excuses.
    That is what I wold be angry about. Why would he just not tell you the truth about the money from the beginning.
    Nathskitten

Answer by Nathskitten at 4:59 PM on Mar. 31, 2009

• I think it's a gift if he gave it to her however, I'd be telling him to negotiate terms the next time she watches the house. I feel cheated. I only get food and get to do my laundry when I housesit for my adult kids! I want to sit for you and your husband! Y'all are far more generous!

Answer by admckenzie at 5:13 PM on Mar. 31, 2009

• Stealing no!! would I be mad yes!! Are you overreacting I think so!!
    scaredmommy08

Answer by scaredmommy08 at 5:15 PM on Mar. 31, 2009

• It's not stealing because she had your husband tell her she could have it. I'd be very angry as well, because he was definitely wrong having given his mother money without discussing it with his wife first. But, I don't think there's any benefit in a married couple not speaking for a week. You let him know your issue, and you can't hold it against him forever. You're supposed to be a team, not enemies.
    MicahsMom612

Answer by MicahsMom612 at 5:36 PM on Mar. 31, 2009

• She forgot to close the garage? That just doesn't make sense. If she forgot to close the garage then how did she remember to get the money so no one would steal it because the garage was open? That sounds like a lie, and it also sounds like your husband was making up a load of excuses and lies for her too.
    Anonymous

• OR it could have just been your DH telling you all of this, and your MIL was no part in it except for taking the money he told her she could have. He was still lying and making up excuses, (but MIL might not have known.) My guess is he was the one in the wrong UNLESS she actually did leave the house with the money BECAUSE the garage was open..but my guess is HE just made that up because he told her she could have the money and didn't want to tell you. I hate it when men choose their moms over their wives!!!!!
    Anonymous