at the playground, how old..

was your kid before you sat on the bench and just let them play on the equipment worry free?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:34 PM on Mar. 31, 2009 in General Parenting

• WORRY FREE PARENTING -- I don't think that exists but it depended on the park, how often we'd been there, and who else was in the park...
    at some parks I'd sit back (for at least a little while at a time) even when A was 2, b/c I knew she was okay. In most others not until 3 did I get some more sit time and now that she's almost 4 and can swing herself I'm almost totally off permenant panic duty and into mostly help me her and occasional heart attack time. I still help them out at some places and or play with them but its not so on top of them.
    I know 2 sounds really young but at least 1 of the parks I went to she went EVERY DAY and basically learned how to walk there and the other was a toddler park so I knew she go could up the stairs and down the slide by herself by 18 months (or earlier).
    It all depends on the situation.
    MamiJaAyla

Answer by MamiJaAyla at 4:39 PM on Mar. 31, 2009

• Probably 3ish. Old enough to steadily climb up and down the stairs and not stumble about.
    BonesDragonDew

Answer by BonesDragonDew at 4:35 PM on Mar. 31, 2009

• Um not till around 4-5. My 3 yr old is great at the climbing but he still could fall. I worry, plus he gets excited and then does not watch out for other kids on swings.
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 4:37 PM on Mar. 31, 2009

• We have a park here that has age appropriate toys, so mine were about 2-3. They have one that is for 18 months to 3 years, and then another for 3-5 years and another for 7 and up. They are set in a way that you can only leave and enter from a certain direction, so as soon as they were walking and climbing small steps okay I let them go, within a safe distance that is, and as long as I could see them. But our park here is built like that like I said. It would have been a while longer I am sure if it wasnt designed that way.
    AK_aries

Answer by AK_aries at 4:37 PM on Mar. 31, 2009

• I think he was 2 or 3. We went to a park that has toddler size equipment. Kids of any age can fall or get hurt at the park, my cousin was 9 when he face planted off the slide and scrapped up the side of his face. I was about 13 when I fell off the monkey bars.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 4:41 PM on Mar. 31, 2009

• It depends on the play area. There is a small one in the mall back home. She can play and not get hurt really and run around, so I sit down. She is 2.

At all other ones, I still follow her.
    celticreverie

Answer by celticreverie at 5:02 PM on Mar. 31, 2009

• depends on the area. we went to a hands on childrens museum with a toddler area that was confined so I let my dd run around there w/o much care. At my gym I watch closely b/c the play area has some tall things to climb and dd loves to climb!
    Anonymous