just wondering if anyone else has experienced this?

I am so tired of feeling looked down upon because my way of doing things isn't like someone else's. For example I am a Christian and so are a lot of my family members. But because I watch t.v. and refuse to spank my kids. I am just at a "different place." Ugg this makes me mad, why do they consider themselves better than me? I am a good person and God knows my heart. I feel that everyone has their own personal relationship with the Lord and there is no right or wrong way to have a relationship with Him. Does anyone else go through this? or have any advice as to how to address the people that say this?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:37 PM on Mar. 31, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• Ignor those people. Everyone does things differently like you said. They are not better than you.
    sweetmom1007

Answer by sweetmom1007 at 4:40 PM on Mar. 31, 2009

• Tell them that your relationship with God is your own business and kindly remind them that "thou shalt not judge"
    Kimebs

Answer by Kimebs at 4:42 PM on Mar. 31, 2009

• You practice your beliefs the way you see it. It's very personal so don't get down. Maybe they are the ones making the mistake and not you? You might be more enlightened.
    jeanclaudia

Answer by jeanclaudia at 4:47 PM on Mar. 31, 2009

• I am a non-vaccinating, non-circumcising, pitbull-owning, tattoo-having, Buddhist homeschooling mom of 4 living in a "trailer" in rural Texas.

Looked down upon? Judged by others?? Naaaaaaaaa... never :-/

Trust me on this one ---- there comes a point (and we all have a different tolerance level... but the "point" will come for us all) when the only option is to tell people to live their own lives, raise their own children, worship whoever they want however they like, and mind their own d*mn business before you start pointing out all the "flaws" they have themselves but haven't been able to "resolve" because they're so wrapped up in what everyone else is doing.
    Laura1229

Answer by Laura1229 at 4:52 PM on Mar. 31, 2009

• My sister!
    I would suggest, because you have a relationship with the Lord, to talk to HIm. He will give you the wisdom and guidance that you need to go forth. Trust in His leading!
    lynnsl

Answer by lynnsl at 4:59 PM on Mar. 31, 2009

• Oh yes!!! I'm Pagan, I don't vaccinate, I am pro choice, I breast feed and I let my kids watch TV... I'm a WAHM... And I can really keep going...

Just don't let it get to you! Live your life the way that makes you happy and screw the rest!

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 5:05 PM on Mar. 31, 2009

Haha . . . sounds like my neighborhood, LOL!

To the OP:

Your relationship with God is YOUR business and no one else's.  If you feel that they come down on you too hard, then don't have the discussio with them, plain and simple.  You should hear some of the reactions I get to some of my beliefs, LOL.

jennijune_21

Answer by jennijune_21 at 5:17 PM on Mar. 31, 2009

• You need to find a good place to go with people who are like-minded. No one will ever be happy with all of our decisions. I get it all the time. Pray to God about it and do what you feel in your heart is right.
    ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 5:22 PM on Mar. 31, 2009

• Follow your God-center, hun. God loves you as YOU are, not as everyone else is. So do what feels right to YOU and ignore that other crap. Believe me, I definitely understand and I know you just have to stand strong and just BE. GOD BLESS!!!
    jenettyshome

Answer by jenettyshome at 5:34 PM on Mar. 31, 2009

• Yes, I use to until I told them not to judge me let God do the judging.
    DeborahElder

Answer by DeborahElder at 5:37 PM on Mar. 31, 2009