Freezing breast milk

Hi,
Any good suggestions on what to freeze breast milk in - or essentially do you just freeze in the bottles?
I read it can last up to 6 months, does that sound right?
thanks!

KellyJC

Asked by KellyJC at 4:37 PM on Mar. 31, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I froze mine in bags and in a deep freeze it's good for a year. I've been giving my son stuff that I pumped in September and it's fine.
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 4:39 PM on Mar. 31, 2009

• How do you thaw it out and get it into a bottle without making a big mess?
    thanks:)
    KellyJC

Answer by KellyJC at 4:43 PM on Mar. 31, 2009

• I would always freeze it in the breastmilk bags. Lanisoh and Gerber (as well as others) make them. They are like ziplock backs with ounce markings on them(not exactly accurate, but close enough). If you want them to last longer make sure you either put them in a deep freeze or at the back of the freezer(not on the door). I would thaw them in hot water and the breastmilk bags make it easy to just pour into a bottle.
    Duckieglc

Answer by Duckieglc at 4:51 PM on Mar. 31, 2009

• I use the bags, never froze bottles, and then I would thaw the bags in cold water or warm water if I needed to serve it right away.
    celticreverie

Answer by celticreverie at 4:58 PM on Mar. 31, 2009

• Thanks! Didn't even think about the fact that they probably make bags just for this! They think of everything and then some..
    thanks so much!
    KellyJC

Answer by KellyJC at 5:02 PM on Mar. 31, 2009

• I thaw mine in warm water. I pour it out the side... it never spills. I tired a few kinds of bags, my favs were the Lanisoh... my least fav were the medela ones.
    And as for a storage tip... I froze mine flat to start with in the regular freezer... then put them into gallon freezer bags in the deep freeze.
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 5:10 PM on Mar. 31, 2009

• Lansinoh bags were the best for me. They are easy to label with the date so you know which ones to use first. We kept a shoe box in the freezer and put the bags in order in it. To thaw, we'd put the bag in the fridge over night, and if we needed it quicker, we'd put it in a bowl of hot water. The bags are easy to pour from, so there are no messes.
    MomToBeISaMom

Answer by MomToBeISaMom at 5:17 PM on Mar. 31, 2009

• definatley bags! it maybe easier to just close the bottle and freeze it but this saves alot of room and you can easily write on the bag the date and everything. They sell actual breastmilk bags that show the number of ounces and a space for the date and everything.
    OliviasMommy614

Answer by OliviasMommy614 at 6:10 PM on Mar. 31, 2009

• The Lansinoh bags are the best. They are really easy to pour. Thaw them in warm water. NEVER put breastmilk in the microwave. I too froze mine flat and then stored them standing up in the compartment on the side of the freezer door.
    evwsquared

Answer by evwsquared at 6:30 PM on Mar. 31, 2009