Can kids tell when you are pregnant before you do?

There is a chance I may have concieved last week. Starting a few days after it may have happened, my DD became very clingy to me. Not whiny so much, but just overly careful to know where I am at all times. Extra cuddle time. Needs more reassurance. She is usually very independent, but I figured she was going through a growth phase. Then Saturday night she woke up screaming and writhing. We were at my parent's house, and my mom came in and told me it was night terrors. She did it again last night. The weird thing, was my mom said I used to have them and it started suddenly the week she got pregnant with my sister. I asked if it was related, and she said she didn't know...but that working at a daycare, she has seen many kids become clingy and ones that used to leave their mom's fine get upset when being dropped off for no apparent reason, only to find out the mom was pregnant. Can kids really sense these things? How so soon?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:00 PM on Mar. 31, 2009 in General Parenting

• They say they can.. An they say you can ask a room full of toddlers and they can tell the sex of your baby.. Kids are funny little ppl...
    HottMamaRossx2

Answer by HottMamaRossx2 at 5:03 PM on Mar. 31, 2009

• I think all children have like a "sixth sense" for things. When my nephew was little he would talk about people who had passed away before he was ever born, and say that he knew that "Because they told me so."
    Once he got older and realized that it wasn't necessarily "right" to see these things, he stopped talking about it.
    My son talks about my grandfather all the time and how he can see him in Heaven dancing, and we are not even that religious...so I believe that they have added sensory perception.
    My son keeps saying that I am having a girl baby, and we do not know, so we will see..it will be interesting.
    NewMommyin06

Answer by NewMommyin06 at 5:24 PM on Mar. 31, 2009

• You know...that's weird. My friend is pregnant and before she knew what she was having her son kept telling her it was a girl. He even went and told his teacher. My friend went to pick him up one day and the teacher ran over to her and said "I'm so happy for you. I heard it is a girl!" and my friend says "Huh?" She was only two or so months along by that point. She had her ultrasound last week and it really is a girl!
    Anonymous

• yep my sons did that. I used to work in a daycare and I saw it there too
    Lynette

Answer by Lynette at 6:19 PM on Mar. 31, 2009

• Kids can be so different. I was huge with twins and had to tell my five year old about it. He never would have known. My late fil's mom had his little sister when he was five and he said that one day, they just sent off to his aunt's house for a visit and when he came home, there was Joyce. Many parents I have known have been shocked that their kids seemed to not notice that Mommy had gotten huge. I wanted to wait until my third trimester to mention mine to my son but so many people asked him if he was excited about getting a new brother and sister and he still didn't get it. So, I told him myself in my second trimester.
    callmeann

Answer by callmeann at 2:33 PM on Apr. 1, 2009

• Somehow it seems to stop happening one the kids get to a certain age. Although not always. My neice went up to me one day and put her hand on my belly and said "Is there a baby in there?" and then went back to playing. A week later I found out I was pregnant. I had no idea prior to taking the test though, and her question came rather out of the blue. It's mostly babies and toddlers though...Not really sure...
    Anonymous