Do you believe that being with someone who is negative can influence you to be negative and stay negative?

I was with this guy who was always negative and mean, I kept giving him chances and in the process, I ended up losing myself. Finally when things were starting to go good and he was starting to change into a more positive person, I turn into what he was and now I am the negative mean one and now he has left me with no more than goodbye, you're always negative, we are done and you need to see a physciartrist because you have too many issues (my issues are irritation, my temper, overreacting, ignoring him and general anxiety disorder). He had so many issues I didn't know how to deal with (bi-polar, social anxiety, depression, alcoholism, shutting me out, suicide threats, but in the end I stood by him and kept giving him chances that ended up working for him)

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:08 PM on Mar. 31, 2009 in Relationships

• I think it can work out but only from a distance. I have a relationship with a man like that (so negative). If I am away from him I'm positive and happy and laugh all the time. When he's around I find myself picking up his negativeness and we're always serious now. I can't do that all the time or he'd drain me. I'm thrilled when he needs breaks.(or I pick a fight so he'll go away for a while and let me order some self esteem - in bulk- from Ebay!)

Answer by admckenzie at 5:11 PM on Mar. 31, 2009

• YES YOU WILL END UP NEGATIVE JUST LIKE THE OTHER PERSON ...IM SORRY FOR WHAT HAPPENED TO YOU HE SHOULD OFF BE THERE FOR YOU BUT JUST REMEMBER YOUR OLD SELF AND TAKE ONE DAY AT A TIME AND HAPPINESS WILL FIND YOU ...BEST OF WISHES
    R3DR0S3

Answer by R3DR0S3 at 6:50 PM on Mar. 31, 2009

• It can influence you to be negative, but I must say that you are your own decision maker. It sounds like he made the choice to do better and you kept dwelling in the past and wouldn't let go of those negative feelings, thoughts and attitude. No matter how much you want to blame him, the truth is, WE are the ones who control whether or not someone will affect us badly. WE have the choice not to be affected by other people, and we have the choice to stop ourselves if we are being negative. With every day you live, you have the choice to make it a good day or a bad day. It's your day, and your choice whether you want to be negative, or react negatively to someone being negative to you. "Have a positive reaction to a negative action." "Handle negative things with positiveness, and it will change so much."
    Anonymous

• GOOD BYE AND GOOD RIDDINS. B GLAD U CN LOOK AT YRSELF AND FIX IT. HES HOPELESS
    Anonymous

• i was in a relationship like that 9 years ago. he was controlling and manipulative. but he dumped me for a 12 year old and got her pregnant. he and i were seniors in high school at that time. if he hadn't of dumped me when he did, i would have ended up just like him.
    myrosegarden

Answer by myrosegarden at 7:14 PM on Mar. 31, 2009