What books do you recommend about marriage?

I feel like my marriage is spinning out of control. We seem to have opposite needs. As much as I love him and want the marriage to work, giving him what he needs makes me feel depressed and devalued. I need to get some other perspective, and I am looking some books that may provide some insight. What books have you read that you recommend and may have helped your marriages?

Zuko

Asked by Zuko at 5:27 PM on Mar. 31, 2009 in Relationships

• dr laura has quite a few good books on marriage.
    mommysarah128

Answer by mommysarah128 at 5:29 PM on Mar. 31, 2009

• Love & Respect by Emerson Eggerichs

ProudMom_5703

Answer by ProudMom_5703 at 5:29 PM on Mar. 31, 2009

• The Five Languages of Love. I would get it on a CD so you can listen to it at the same time. In the car, at night, while cooking..... it helped me change some things that I never realized I was doing toward my husband. he also learned some things I needed from him as well.
    ljlM

Answer by ljlM at 5:34 PM on Mar. 31, 2009

• There are many, many books out there. I think a lot of it depends on whether you want a Christian guide or not. There are many fabulous books out there....The Five Languages of Love, Love & Respect, Four Seasons of Marriage, Finding the Hero in your Husband, etc. I would recommend seeing if your local library has any you could look at before you purchase any.
    Anonymous

• Look at the website: focusonthefamily for help.
    timelessglass

Answer by timelessglass at 5:40 PM on Mar. 31, 2009

• "Hold Me Tight" Seven conversations for a lifetime of love by Dr. Sue Johnson.

legalmommy101

Answer by legalmommy101 at 6:08 PM on Mar. 31, 2009

• proper care and feeding of husbands. most women are just like she describes and she is a dr. very insightful. says how men are and it's easy to understand and easy reading. i read it all in like 2 wks or less.
    melody77

Answer by melody77 at 6:25 PM on Mar. 31, 2009

• I STARTED READING DR LAURA AND SHES FAIR WHEN IT COMES TO FAMILY
    R3DR0S3

Answer by R3DR0S3 at 6:37 PM on Mar. 31, 2009

• Wow, I'm surprised to see how many women suggested Dr. Laura, but I definitely would recommend the same. Proper Care and Feeding of Husbands would be a good book for you and Proper Care and Feeding of Marriage would be good for your husband.
    MicahsMom612

Answer by MicahsMom612 at 6:42 PM on Mar. 31, 2009

• Hold up a second. What are you doing for him that makes you feel depressed and devalued? It would help us know what kind of books you're looking for that are more in depth.
    Anonymous