Can I Color My Hair While I Am Pregnant????

I am 14 weeks pregnant and I would like to color my hair...I want to go dark so there wont be bleach involved...But I have heard that its not good....But I also heard that its fine as long as bleach isnt used...I want to get other opinions...

slraub

Asked by slraub at 5:32 PM on Mar. 31, 2009 in Pregnancy

• they say in the 2nd trimester u can -
    i colored my hair at around 23 weeks -
    I asked my doctor before hand and researched it & my doc said it was fine.
    I did it in a big room with windows open - just be careful of what color u choose cause hormones can alter it - I colored mine black so it didnt affect it but just be careful.
    kwiseman19

Answer by kwiseman19 at 5:34 PM on Mar. 31, 2009

• I didn't do any color. I quit for the time I was pregnant, just in case the experts were wrong. (Look at all the drugs the FDA pass each year that turn out to cause major problems!) This was hard for me because I had been coloring my hair for 23 years, and had lots of grays!

I figure better safe than sorry. I would always wonder if my child's delays or deformities were somehow made worse or caused by my vanity.
    timelessglass

Answer by timelessglass at 5:38 PM on Mar. 31, 2009

• I colored my hair at 11 weeks. As long as you're in a well ventilated area, you'll be fine.
    ap9902

Answer by ap9902 at 5:55 PM on Mar. 31, 2009

• I did, and my Dr said it was fine.
    Anonymous

• I think it is fine. There are lots of pregnant hair color experts that are around haircolor chemicals all day and there is no higher incidence of any problems with their babies. I would have an expert color it because if you don't do it correctly you may have to repeat the process and therefore have more exposure that necessary.
    www.newmommyteesandjeans.com
    Mommyghee

Answer by Mommyghee at 7:15 PM on Mar. 31, 2009

• I did when I was about 3 months pregnant bc I didnt know I wasnt supposed to and the color didnt take to my hair the way it was supposed to. I was supposed to be an auburn color and it ended up almost the red color of Mary Jane's hair on Spiderman...Ive heard though now that after your so far along you can and it wont affect you or the baby and will actually work :S
    Anonymous

• I just colored my hair yesterday and I'm 24 weeks. I had asked my doctor and they said it was fine. However, I think they said it's only fine after like 18 weeks or something like that...Try to wait a few more weeks if you can.. Just let the baby develop a little more first.
    LittleMonster22

Answer by LittleMonster22 at 9:39 PM on Mar. 31, 2009

• It is perfectly fine to color your hair during pregnancy. I am a cosmetologist and most state laws require the facilities to be well ventilated. I would def go to a professional as we would be able to give you the right color that you would want, otherwise your hormones can bring out unwanted colors.
    JenniferDeBaun

Answer by JenniferDeBaun at 9:28 AM on Apr. 1, 2009

• If you color your hair, I would go for the ammonia free dyes (check the lables). I dyed my hair in the last trimester, a darker color, using an ammonia free hair dye. The color lasted for several weeks. Next time I get pregnant, I won't color my hair.

A great way to gradually add hi-lights to your hair is to make a 50/50 solution of peroxide and water. Spray a little on your hair each morning and it will add some beautiful hi-lights to your hair (though, as I said, this is a gradual process and could take a week or two to show any hi-lights).
    epoh

Answer by epoh at 10:07 AM on Apr. 1, 2009