What are my chances of getting to have natural birth if I am on a blood thinner?

A few years ago I got a blood clott because of birth control. Because if this now that I am pregnant they have me on a blood thinner. Does anyone know if I am going to be able to deliver the baby, or will they have to take the baby?

aleshia789

Asked by aleshia789 at 5:59 PM on Mar. 31, 2009 in Pregnancy

• You should be just fine. You might had a little more bleeding than someone that wasn't on blood thinners, but I was under the impression that you stop thinners before you actually are to delivery stage (last tri)
    Anonymous

• I don't see why not? Do you have a blood disorder that you need to have a blood thinner for? A natural delivery is safer than a c/s if you have an issue with too much clotting, my grandmother has a clotting disorder (factor 5) and when in surgery she developed a blood clot that went to her lungs.

Also, if you do bleed a little more you can have some Shepard's Purse tincture on hand (always check and see if there are medical reactions) and it can help ebb the bleeding. Nursing right after also can contract the uterus!
    celticreverie

Answer by celticreverie at 6:22 PM on Mar. 31, 2009

• That is VERY VERY dangerous!!!! They have to give you a medication at the hospital to help offset the blood thinner. PLEASE CONSULT A MEDICAL PROFESSIONAL AND DO NOT TRUST CAFEMOMS WITH YOUR LIFE!!!
    Anonymous

• lol, calm down anon. She's probably looking for someone with experience. I am sure she wont just go by what someone online says: give the girl more credit that that!

Geez, people get so worked up for nothing! :)
    celticreverie

Answer by celticreverie at 10:11 PM on Mar. 31, 2009