Does anyone else have a child who is scared to death of any kind of loud noise?

My daughter jumps sky high and cries like she is tramatized every time she hears a loud noise... even if the tv is turned up a little loud... how can I assure her it's ok. she seems unconsolable sometimes and I feel horrible.

ashleysmommy526

Asked by ashleysmommy526 at 6:10 PM on Mar. 31, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• My son gets scared when i vaccum. I hear cry when a air plane comes by.
    Lbeck6969

Answer by Lbeck6969 at 6:34 PM on Mar. 31, 2009

• Yes, but she's getting better. She used to be scared of the vaccum, now she just goes to another room. I got her a toy vacuum and that has helped alot.
    Anonymous

• Yes, and he had other sensory problems, too. After two years of OT, he's much better with tactile issues, but sound is only a little better.

Before: Turn on the vacuum, he would run to another room and run in circles while screaming.
    Now: Turn on the vacuum and he will put his hands over his ears and leave the room until I'm done.

Public toilets, mixer, blender, screw gun, drill, any power tool.....loud crowds, too many people, etc.

But he also has problems with touch, taste, and smell.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 7:26 PM on Mar. 31, 2009

• if she takes after my daughter mine has headaches easy she doesn't like to flush the toilet the noise hurts her head she is eleveen she had a tough babyhood with illnesses she is spoilled but we are working on this write if you need support the rest of our familiy just loves her the way she is
    goatmom4

Answer by goatmom4 at 8:49 PM on Mar. 31, 2009

• My son is the same, I am the same. Gunshot or fireworks totally freak me out.
    jeanclaudia

Answer by jeanclaudia at 9:35 PM on Mar. 31, 2009

• My son used to be scared to death of the vacuum cleaner lol, But it gets better-------Don't put your daily chores on hold because they are scared of loud noises. It works really well if you do normal things that you used to do before he/she were born, As in vacuuming etc. they need to get used to the outside world, I know it may break your heart to hear them cry cause they are scared. But getting used to the outside world sounds is a good things to do.
    mesmerizing2008

Answer by mesmerizing2008 at 10:23 AM on Apr. 1, 2009