• In the Spotlight:

Please help, my daughter wakes up screaming at night and I can't calm her down

My poor 6 month old daughter has been sick for the past 3 weeks. First she had RSV then she got an ear infection and then she got congested again. On top of that she is teething. She sucks on her hands and it causes the skin around her cheeks to break down from the moisture. We have tried Vaseline, neosporin, and Eucerin on her cheeks and nothing seems to help. She is miserable and she scratches at her face . I cut her nails and the hand mittens don't stay on. I even tried putting socks on her hands and she rips them off. Nights are pure hell. She wakes up every hour screaming and my husband and I can't calm her down and she won't nurse. She isn't as bad during the day. What is wrong with her and what else can I do? She is on antibiotics and motrin. Is that hurting her stomach?

momof2girlz33

Asked by momof2girlz33 at 6:21 PM on Mar. 31, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Wow, this sounds really rough. FIrst off, I would call your doctor, and maybe take her in again. It sounds like maybe the ear infection isn't getting better. Also, it could be that the irritation around her mouth is eczema, and you might need to use hydrocortisone cream to get it under control. Good luck.
    evwsquared

Answer by evwsquared at 6:26 PM on Mar. 31, 2009

• Thanks for the reply. I just took her to urgent care on Sunday and they said that both ears look fine now. I have tried hdrocortisone cream on her cheeks too. Her doctor looked at her cheeks and he said it wasn't eczema and that we just need to put a good barrier cream on her cheeks.
    momof2girlz33

Answer by momof2girlz33 at 6:33 PM on Mar. 31, 2009

• Have you tried lanolin on her cheeks? This worked wonders on my DD's cheeks! I use the Medela Advanced Nipple care lanolin-it has beta glucan in it, which prevents infection and promotes healing and lessens inflammation. You could try laying her down on an incline by using a pillow under the mattress of her crib. Did she like swaddling as a newborn?  You could try swaddling her with her hands bound up in the blanket.  This might soothe her and keep her hands off her face.  I imagine that her face itches from the wet rash.
    If you have a sling and a comfy chair, you could try sleeping in the chair holding her for a couple of nights.  Sleeping in a chair is better than not sleeping at all.  I have been there!  I used the sling and put her in it upright, tummy to tummy, instead of cradled in it.  The sling just made me feel safer that she wouldn't fall off of me when we were sleeping.
    Pieta0227

Answer by Pieta0227 at 10:08 PM on Mar. 31, 2009