Should I avoid a party so MIL won't cause a scene?

My MIL and I do not get along. Mainly because she is a biatch and hates me. Never done a thing to the woman but marry her *baby boy*. If we make a decision she doesn't like, she whines and cries and calls her entire family trying to get them to be mad at me like she is. She's very immature. Anyhow, my BIL and his wife are renting cabins for the weekend at a near by lake for friends and family for their 10th anniversary party. Since MIL wouldn't speak to me this past weekend at another party, I know she's mad at me for something. She is also likes to cause a scene for attention & sympathy. Should I go and chance it or stay home so it won't spoil the party? p.s. I'm also pregnant and don't need the stress I'm sure she's gonna cause.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:23 PM on Mar. 31, 2009 in Just for Fun

• I would go, but just copmletely avoid her the whole time. If you do have to make contact with her be civil and know that she is trying to get attention. Don't give her the attention she seeks. I would also maybe talk to hubby about it, since it is his mom, and also talk to the BIL whose party it is. If things get out of hand, just leave and decided not to deal with it.
    avpriddis

Answer by avpriddis at 6:30 PM on Mar. 31, 2009

• Show her that you are better than her and show up wth a huge smile on your face.
    Kbmancine

Answer by Kbmancine at 6:26 PM on Mar. 31, 2009

• Agree with above poster. Kill her with kindness! Then she'll look like a fool for picking on a pregnant woman who is being nothing but nice to her.
    Anonymous

• Yep, I agree.
    mommy22miracles

Answer by mommy22miracles at 6:30 PM on Mar. 31, 2009

• I agree with everyone above.
    Have fun!
    PrydferthMenyw

Answer by PrydferthMenyw at 6:39 PM on Mar. 31, 2009

• How does the rest of the family handle it? Certainly your BIL and his wife don't want a scene. Are they aware of how bad she is? Maybe your SIL is also a target?

Strength in numbers...if the younger generation can band together to make Mom behave it might just be a more pleasant experience. But if they all side with her, then why bother going?

Answer by gdiamante at 7:00 PM on Mar. 31, 2009

• I'd go to the party and just be as sweet as can be towards her. After you kill her with kindness and show the rest of the family what a whiner she is, go home and relax in a nice warm bubble bath with a quart of ice cream and ask hubby if he wouldn't mind rubbing your feet and ankles.

Honestly, I'd just ignore her entirely unless she comes up to you. Then be very polite to her and ensure that others know you're being polite. That way, when she causes a scene, it won't be you who's on the receiving end of the looks. Be the bigger person and go. It will show her that you aren't going to bow to her complaints and also that you aren't afraid to stand up to her, even if you did marry her "baby boy." I didn't let my ex-MIL control my life and make me feel bad and look what happened after I finally told her enough was enough to her face? She wanted to be buddy buddy with me until I caught her "baby boy" cheating on me. LMAO
    Anonymous

• go anyway. don't let the wicked witch ruin your life.
    jcsmummy

Answer by jcsmummy at 7:11 PM on Mar. 31, 2009

• I'm not sure how BIL takes it, but I know his wife is aware of the way MIL treats me. She herself just ignores her or tells her what she thinks no matter what the outcome. But for some reason, MIL likes to single me out as a horrible person and start rumors about me. She never gets mad or says anything to or about SIL.
    Anonymous

• Well, coming from another "DIL from hell" (her quote to her friends)...I'd go, and prove everything she's ever said about you wrong.

Kill her with kindness. Have a wonderful time in spite (despite? lol) of her and name the baby after someone she doesn't like!
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 7:18 PM on Mar. 31, 2009