Baby hit her head!

My 9 month old was asleep in her crib. I heard a loud "bonk" and as i ran in to see what happened she started screaming. I picked her up and rocked her until she was okay and took her into the livingroom so i could finish cleaning. I go pick her up again to play with her and theres this red bump on her temple. Its about the size of a quarter. It happened about half an hour ago and its starting to fade but im a new mother and she's never gotten hurt like that before.. Would you go to the doctor? She seems fine but im worried.

Thank you all for your wonderful answers!

SpiritedTigress

Asked by SpiritedTigress at 6:29 PM on Mar. 31, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I wouldn't go to the doctor. She did develop a bump, which is a good thing so there is nothing going on internally and if she's playing, she's good :) She obviously doesn't seem lethargic/dazed so I wouldn't fret.

the first bumps are always scary!
    celticreverie

Answer by celticreverie at 6:30 PM on Mar. 31, 2009

• She's fine. Call your doc and see if he wants to see her
    Anonymous

• No you probably don't need to see a dr, but just keep an eye on her for lethargy, and just keep her up for an hour or two to make sure there's no concussion. I'm not a dr, but my BIL is so when my baby hit her head this is what he told us to do. It is so scary the first time, but don't worry, she'll be fine.
    avpriddis

Answer by avpriddis at 6:33 PM on Mar. 31, 2009

• She sounds ok, but when she hits her head make sure you keep her awake 2 hours, don't let her sleep right after hitting her head. You don't want her having a concussion.
    Anonymous

• as long as there is a bump, and you don't let her sleep for an hour afterwards she is fine. my son is the master of head injuries, don't get too worked up over it.
    jcsmummy

Answer by jcsmummy at 7:16 PM on Mar. 31, 2009

• She's been up ever since. The redness is mostly gone now, and its only a slight bump. God, it scared me to death though. Thank you all! I didnt know about keeping her up for over two hours so i dont feel as silly about posting this question.

Thank you <3
    SpiritedTigress

Answer by SpiritedTigress at 7:48 PM on Mar. 31, 2009

• She's fine... and she will do it a zillion more time as she learns to stand and walk more. My son is 8 months and has started cruising... more like falling! he hits his head at least 3 times/day.
    If she were to start throwing up or act funny to you, you would want to bring her to an ER.
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 7:50 PM on Mar. 31, 2009