My 23 month old grandson has recently started having temper tantrums. Pulling out his hair, banging his head. I am concerned about how to handle these tantrums. I have heard that thse are signs of possible autism. Is this true?

Michael has always been a happy, active boy. These tantrums have only started in the past few weeks. I know that most parents (and all grandparents) think their child is exceptional. But he really is smart. He's speaking in sentences, has exceptional fine motor skills, and easily "mimicks" others. I'm just very concerned about what could be causing the tantrums. Any advice?

terijr

Asked by terijr at 6:38 PM on Mar. 31, 2009 in Health

• My cousin had this when he was that age. He was just diagnosed with a hyper disorder. No autism. I don't know if it is signs of autism though. You should google autism and look at symptoms... =]
    mommykayti

Answer by mommykayti at 6:42 PM on Mar. 31, 2009

• Banging his head is one form how kids are expressing themselves. My son did the head banging too.

Doctor said that's their way to get out some agression and cool themselves down.

Anonymous

• Welcome to the terrible twos!!! Have fun! :o)
    halfpint_ny

Answer by halfpint_ny at 6:59 PM on Mar. 31, 2009

• It is a way of them to tell you, hey i am really mad. and if you give in, i know this works and next time i will do the exact same thing. I would try to ignore the behavior if you are at home, and say, oh that is not how we handle ourselves when we are frustrated. it is okay to get upset, but this is not acceptible to show it this way. and be done, make sure they dont hurt themselves, but most of the time they know if it hurts and are smart enough to stop if it really hurts. If in a store, leave immediatly and have the same talk and explain now we have to leave. It might be a pain, but not giving in is the key. Don't think it is a sign of autisim, tho some autistic kids do that, but are much older. Both my boys went through that stage and are fine
    muzikgrl477

Answer by muzikgrl477 at 7:17 PM on Mar. 31, 2009

• This is a way to see how far you will let them go. If it works they do it again. Now, what you have to do is watch the behavior, make sure they don't hurt themselves and then explain the behavior is not ok and that you will throw away whatever it is that is causing the behavior and friction between you two. Let him/her see you put the food, toy, etc, in the garbage and then explain that nothing sould be kept around that can cause that much trouble. When they see you do it often enough and not get excited about their behavior, they will think it over and change their approach of getting what they are asking for. Don't be too fast at labeling your children. Just try some simple psychology like your parents did.
    AuntToddy

Answer by AuntToddy at 8:03 PM on Mar. 31, 2009