What are some free/cheap fun things for a family to do together?

We have a hat that we draw an activity out of once a month to plan to go do (no matter what). We're running out of ideas, so tell me what your family does for fun! Thanks!! BTW, my kids are Adam, 6 1/2 and Alexis, nearly 9!

sparrowprincess

Asked by sparrowprincess at 7:03 PM on Mar. 31, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Maybe bowling? Laser tag, mini putt? Have a picnic at the park if it's not too cold and play horseshoes or some other outside game?
    Anonymous

• We like to go for familly bike rides. Also This summer I want to take my kids to the state park for a hike and let them collect leves and things and then take them back home and make crafts out of them. In the summer we go to the beach. I know that our movie theater has family movies on sudays for $2, blowling is pretty cheap. Mini golfing. Once our local fire department had an open house where there were games and rides on the fire trucks. They had a fake window set up and the kids got to spray it with a fire hose. Smokey the bear was there. The only thing that cost money was food. You can pack a picinic, we went tent camping in the back yard last year.
    Sammieanne

Answer by Sammieanne at 8:17 PM on Mar. 31, 2009

• Paint pottery, Make a fort in the living room out of blankets, finger paint (your never to old for that!), bake a cake or other goodies, visit a museum, go to the beach or a local pool, playground
    my_three_sons

Answer by my_three_sons at 9:15 PM on Mar. 31, 2009

• Thanks so much! Some of those things we haven't done...unfortunately, we are landlocked here in good ole Oklahoma (my kids would LOVE to go to the beach, they've only seen the ocean once), but we do have lakes, rivers, pools... We've also done or are going to do museums (art, action figure/toy, children's, dinosaur, etc), the zoo, arcades, horseback riding, scavenger hunts, and much more. I actually discovered (surprise, surprise) that visiting the Tourist Welcome Center, (I think most states have them), provided me with tons of coupons, a map and a catalog with a bunch of events for this year. I've penciled several of them in on my calendar. (We recently went on an equinox walk at a Native American archaelogical site to celebrate the changing of the season). Anyways, I really do appreciate the input and hope some of these ideas help you too! Thanks!!!
    sparrowprincess

Answer by sparrowprincess at 9:40 PM on Mar. 31, 2009

• we like to go to the park to feed the ducks
    Rachel24517

Answer by Rachel24517 at 10:09 PM on Mar. 31, 2009

• Here's another idea. Put one slip in their for each of your kids and have one night where they get to decide what you do. Kids learn some pretty cool stuff at school and they like to share it. So, give them a chance. You may be surprised what you find your self doing.
    -Ashley
    spiritguide_23

Answer by spiritguide_23 at 12:30 AM on Apr. 1, 2009

• we play games like apples to apples jr. we have movie night friday, on tuesdays mcdonalds has 1.99 kids meals and they play at the play place.we go to the free museums we hold yard sales and all the money goes in the jar for whatever trip the kids want to go on for example we put up a sign that said help us go to the coca cola musuem. people are more than willing to not complain about prices either the kids were excited cause they did all the work for it took the money bagged item price etc. i make up days in the summer where the kids have to wear there clothes back wards and instead of please they say thank you etc. we have picnics and tree days where they have to run from tree to tree on our walks we name that bird. we trun the radio on and have bring it on competitions..etc. we have fun here.
    janiere

Answer by janiere at 2:54 AM on Apr. 1, 2009

• We do movie night, where we rent a movie, make popcorn or we do pizza making night, have game night. When the weather is nice, we go to the park, have picnics, play wiffle ball or monster ball, fly kites, bike ride, etc. I live in NJ and during the summer months, Jenkinson's in Pt. Pleasant has fireworks at night, so I've taken them down there to watch the fireworks and then play mini golf, they love anything as long as we are together having fun. And my kids are 9, 8 and 3 1/2.
    dcoscia3

Answer by dcoscia3 at 10:54 AM on Apr. 1, 2009

• Call your local skating rink. Sometimes they have "deal" nights or just go. It's usually cheap.My DD had no idea how to skate, but after 2 or 3 times going, she quit falling down. LOL All of the places I've went to will let parents out there without skates on to teach their kids.
    mmmommy0207

Answer by mmmommy0207 at 6:02 PM on Apr. 1, 2009

• Sometimes we take the kids to the pet stores to look at the fish/cats/reptiles/rodents and they just LOVE it (we make sure they know we aren't getting any before we go though). Scavenger hunts in the yard/park are a lot of fun too!
    Norest4mommy

Answer by Norest4mommy at 12:29 AM on Apr. 3, 2009