What age was your child when they learned to ride a bike?

Both of my kids are still on training wheels. We've tried and tried to leave them off, but neither seem to have the balance needed (even after miles upon miles of running behind holding the seat). My son is 6 1/2 and my daughter will be 9 in May...please provide any suggestions and also include how old your child, or you, was/were when learned to ride a bike. Thanks.

sparrowprincess

Asked by sparrowprincess at 7:06 PM on Mar. 31, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• DD just turned 7 last week and still can't ride well. We took the training wheels off last summer and she can ride straight but if she turns she falls. She also still has a had time stopping. We just didn't push her very hard. This summer we're telling her if she doesn't do it we're getting rid of the bike. The only reason she "can't" do it is because she gets scared and wont try. We're going to tak her to an empty parking lot so she can start by making wide turns and gradualy get better.
    Sammieanne

Answer by Sammieanne at 8:12 PM on Mar. 31, 2009

• My son was 4 with no training wheels But this is how I done it, I made sure the bike fit him properly And wore a helmet[I,m picky with that SAFETY FIRST THING],the very first thing is to teach BALANCE on their own,dont hold the bike but let THEM have the control,BALANCE BALANCE is the main key, ENCOURAGEMENT is another key. It also helps to have them learn on cement a level pathway, fortunantly we have LOTS of cement that he could learn on. It takes time, your kids are very intellegent and they just need a little encouragement to succeed, my son went from foot to foot on each side of his bike till he got the courage to put his feet on the peddles and go, it took a couple of weeks but he really worked at it. I know they can do it=== get rid of the training wheels, too tempting to get discouraged and put them back on==== in the trash!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! GOOD LUCK and please let me know how it goes, they CAN do it!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    momindistress08

Answer by momindistress08 at 9:04 PM on Mar. 31, 2009

• I have three, two boys and a girl. They all learned to ride without training wheels by the time they were four.
    lilhoney

Answer by lilhoney at 9:51 PM on Mar. 31, 2009

• My oldest 2 learned last summer. The oldest was about to turn 8 (in a couple of weeks) and the other one was 6 1/2. They are almost 9 and 7 now. My now 6yo hasn't figured it out yet.
    My son (the one that was 6 last summer) figured it out first and I taught them all balance first. They took their bike in the grass and had to sit on it and put their feet out to the side and try and hold the bike steady as long as they could and then let it fall to one side or the other, catching it with their outstretched food (good lesson to learn because if they are falling and put their foot near the bike they are going down). Then, I had them just push the bike with their feet. Once they were able to do that and glide on the bike we practiced with the pedals.
    In the end they both figured it out on their own by getting on and trying it with no one helping them.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 12:18 AM on Apr. 1, 2009

• Lucas was 4. My husband took him to the park and let go. My son fell a couple times then was riding just fine. Took 10 minutes.
    momtoonecuteboy

Answer by momtoonecuteboy at 9:19 AM on Apr. 1, 2009

• mine were all 4.
    Pauline3283

Answer by Pauline3283 at 10:30 AM on Apr. 1, 2009

• If anyone has any ideas...let me know. My son is 6 1/2 and will not let us take the training wheels off.
    BrandonsMom1000

Answer by BrandonsMom1000 at 1:11 PM on Apr. 1, 2009

• 4...don't ask..just take them off. And do what the other two moms suggested. Learn balance and have them just go.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 2:46 PM on Apr. 1, 2009

• My son is 7 and will be 8 in two months. He refuses to learn how to ride his bike, so don't feel bad. I am just thinking that he will decide to do this when he is ready.
    boopmom1228

Answer by boopmom1228 at 2:47 PM on Apr. 1, 2009

• All children are different it doesnt mean their slow or anything, some just take longer and the best you can do is to just encourage them and TAKE the t.wheels away, heres one===the t.wheel man came and took them away because other kids YOUNGER dont have any and need them to learn,your time ran out, it may work:).
    momindistress08

Answer by momindistress08 at 9:51 PM on Apr. 1, 2009