4months old starting cereal? is this okay?

I was wondering when you started your child on baby cereal?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:08 PM on Mar. 31, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I did between 6 and 7 months, but I am pretty sure the standard is 4-6 months.
    Anonymous

• You can start around 4 months. The basics to look for are sitting up and holding they're own head up. My first was ready at 5 months but my 2nd wasn't ready until between 6 and 7 months. Each baby is different
    avpriddis

Answer by avpriddis at 7:11 PM on Mar. 31, 2009

• I am on the WIC program, and that is when they recommended me to start cereal. Just make sure to feed the baby with a spoon and not to put it in the bottle.
    IlovemyNicholas

Answer by IlovemyNicholas at 7:11 PM on Mar. 31, 2009

• I didn't. I think the stuff is nasty. My son started eating a bit of purred veggies every few days around 8 mos.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 7:26 PM on Mar. 31, 2009

• its perfectly fine to start cereal. I also agree with a previous poster, dont put it in the bottle, just put it in a bowl and make it very very liquidy, mix it with formula or breast milk, and spoon feed it. Theres nothing wrong with starting it now
    Amanduhpanda

Answer by Amanduhpanda at 7:38 PM on Mar. 31, 2009

• i actually just asked this same question the other day. my daughter witth be 5 mos. in a little over a week. it's really your call. just make sure of a couple things first: the baby can move the food to the back of its mouth and swollow. feed/nurse first. oh, and if you are going to introduce new foods do it about 3-4 days apart in case of allergic reactions. hope this helps.
    Kitty0907

Answer by Kitty0907 at 7:43 PM on Mar. 31, 2009

• The recommendation for solids is six months for breastfed, four months for formula fed. But more important is whether baby's lost the tongue thrust. If it's still there, then wait.

Didn't do cereal. Mashed banana. Easier and tastier.

Answer by gdiamante at 7:53 PM on Mar. 31, 2009

• My preemie had sucking and swallowing problems when he was born. The doctors in the NICU had to put cereal in his bottle when he was just 3 weeks old to thicken up the breastmilk.
    I do not think its to early to give your little one cereal, just make it kinda watery.
    my_three_sons

Answer by my_three_sons at 9:07 PM on Mar. 31, 2009