potato and egg salad

my first time making potato salad and egg salad i know what to put in it. How long do i cook the potatoes and eggs?

mommyof20507

Asked by mommyof20507 at 7:22 PM on Mar. 31, 2009 in Food & Drink

• I'm not sure how long I cook my potatoes, but I check them after 5 minutes to make sure they don't cook too long. If they aren't quite done I check them every minute or so until they are. BTW, the best potatoes to use for potato salad is the red potatoes. They stay firm even if you accidentally cook them too long, and leaving the skins on gives nice color to your salad. Then I spread them out on a cookie sheet and put them in the freezer for a few minutes to cool them quickly. For the eggs, I start them in cold water and bring it to a boil over med heat. When they start to boil, take them off the heat and let them sit (in the hot water) for 20 minutes. The older the egg, the easier it will be to peel them and I peel them under cold running water. Makes peeling much easier too.

BlessedMommy64

Answer by BlessedMommy64 at 7:41 PM on Mar. 31, 2009

• sounds like BlessedMommy knows how to make some potato salad. One more suggestion is that you should mix the ingredients for the dressing before you stir it into the potatoes. It helps to keep from making them mushy (or mashy). It usually takes about 15-20 min for them to cook after the water boils. Larger potatoes take longer of course. I don't freeze mine, but I run them under cold water to cool them and peel them at the same time.
    FlyMom07

Answer by FlyMom07 at 8:24 PM on Mar. 31, 2009

• That's right, it is better to mix your dressing before putting it in. I use miracle Whip, Djon mustard, (I like the country Djon), a little vinegar, a little garlic Mrs. Dash and pepper. One thing I didn't mention is that I cut my potatoes into bite-sized squares before I cook them. Some people leave them whole to cook them but I think that takes so much longer. And I also put chopped celery in my potato salad. OHHHH. Now I'm hungry for some potato salad!!

BlessedMommy64

Answer by BlessedMommy64 at 11:32 PM on Mar. 31, 2009

• Cook the potatoes until they slide off the fork when you poke them. Gently boil your eggs for 5 minutes, turn them off and let them sit in the hot water until it cools.
    Marwill

Answer by Marwill at 11:36 AM on Apr. 1, 2009