Can Someone help me?

My baby is almost 3 months, but his hair has started to fall out. He already has a bald spot on the back. I think is hereditary from his dad. But what I'm concerned about is that hi scalp is also falling out, like little flakes. They are all over his head and can't take them out. I start with my finger but they are endless. He is not any pain and it doesn't hurt him when I'm picking them out. Anybody knows how to get rid of them or make it stop? Has anyone's baby had this same problem?

Katherinep20

Asked by Katherinep20 at 7:24 PM on Mar. 31, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• To answer your first question babies hair falls out that's normal and it's going to happen no matter what. It will start to grow back when he is a little older. The flakes on his head could be cradle cap, which is just a build of crap and dead skin. Usually you can get anything at a drug store that says cradle cap and follow the directions. Or you can use baby oil, spread it over his head let it sit for a few minutes, use a soft brush to loosen the flakes and wash his head. I would go to the doctor to find out exactly what it is but when my daughter had it I just google cradle cap images and diagnosed her myself. When I took her to the doctor it turns out it was cradle cap. There is no harm in the baby oil thing though so if you believe it is cradle cap try it.
    Anonymous

• Sounds like cradle cap to me. I'd say put some olive oil on his head and comb with a fine tooth comb. If all else fails, speak to doctor about using selsun blue shampoo.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 7:25 PM on Mar. 31, 2009

• Honey, it sounds like cradle cap. Its OK, and it will go away on its own eventually. Or you can use a small amount of Selson Blue (sp?) it really helped on my daughter, but what her pediatrician said was that even if it goes away with a dandruff shampoo, if it is not ready to go fully away it will just come back. Its a normal infant thing. Try not to pick them out with your nails. Use a fine comb instead, right out of the bath when they are still soft.

My daughter lost probably 2-3 hairs with each flake that came off of her head, but I promise you she did not go bald!

And the bald spot is normal too, lol, not hereditary from his dad. Its from being on his back so much. Once he starts sitting up and such, it will give his hair a chance to grow in there.
    CarolynBarnett

Answer by CarolynBarnett at 7:28 PM on Mar. 31, 2009

• Yep it sounds like cradle cap alright. When my 2 year old had it the doctor told me to wash it with head and shoulders {medicated} or something like that but I know it was head and shoulders
    diamondmamma

Answer by diamondmamma at 7:28 PM on Mar. 31, 2009

• Oh, when I said right out of the bath when they are still soft, I meant when the flakes are super soft, hehe, not the baby.

And you can try olive oil too, or baby oil. Soak the scalp in it 15 mins prior to bath time to help loosen some of it up. But beware that it will take a couple of shampoos to get all the oil out.
    CarolynBarnett

Answer by CarolynBarnett at 7:32 PM on Mar. 31, 2009

• Your scalp doesn't fall out...it's either just really dry or cradle cap. Try using conditioner when you wash his hair. I use it on my DD and she has never had either dry or cradle cap. The hair loss is normal. My DD didn't lose any til 4-5 months. It's growing back really thick tho.
    calliesmommie

Answer by calliesmommie at 8:32 PM on Mar. 31, 2009

• My daughter had the same thing I tried lotion, then I tried baby oil and none worked so i asked my doc and she told me to try dandruff shampoo... did it and worked like a charm!! doesnt matter what kind i just used head and shoulders moisturizing... people look at me weird when i tell them what i did but hey... the doc said it was okay and there isnt one flake on her head! (and it smelled better than her shampoo becuz she has sensitive skin so the unscented stinks!)
    torimommy21

Answer by torimommy21 at 12:25 PM on Apr. 1, 2009