How can I stop my 14 month old preemie from screaming everytime i leave the room or hold his 3 month old brother???

Irishtwin08

Asked by Irishtwin08 at 7:35 PM on Mar. 31, 2009 in General Parenting

• You problably can't stop the crying all together but what you could do is, leave the room for a very short amount of time, come right back and love on the older child, do this often increasing the time just a bit each time. For the holding thing, when done holding the youngest, put him down, and pay a lot of attention to your older one. That way when something happens that he doesn't like he'll assosiate it with getting tons of loving on when your finished.
    lstrickland

Answer by lstrickland at 8:02 PM on Mar. 31, 2009

• Regardless of the premie factor, its very normal for kids that age to go through this type of "seperation anxiety". You may not see it as a big deal b/c you haven't really gone anywhere....but to a 14mo old, they want to be attatched to you! LOL. And if its possible, hold him for a bit too while holding the 3mo old. Lots of times they are just curious and want a level view of what you have in your arms...Especially something as intresting as a baby! LOL. My boys are 15 months apart and the older one always wanted to sit next to me while I nursed his brother. He would throw a tantrum when I did things with the baby. Until I realized it wasn't really MY attention he wanted....he just wanted to be involved with the baby! Don't stress, this will pass. Just give it some time and breath...
    ozarkgirl3

Answer by ozarkgirl3 at 8:44 PM on Mar. 31, 2009