My daughter wont eat her formula!

My daughter is now 8 1/2 months old and she has been on formula since she was three months. We have never had a problem! We started feeding her table food and she loves it but now she wont eat any of her formula. I always offer it to her before she gets anything else but she just screams and pushes it away. Yesterday she had a total of about 8 oz the entire day, and that was just bits of each bottle here and there. Ive been giving her water and juice, but I dont know how concerned I should be about her not eating formula. She still eats everything else great, is this just a phase? I have a call into the doctor, Im just waiting for a call back. Do any other kids go through this? Are there any tricks I can do to get her to drink it? Thank s for the help!

Amanduhpanda

Asked by Amanduhpanda at 7:36 PM on Mar. 31, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Have you tasted formula...Yuck! Wonder why? because our taste buds have become accustomed to the food we eat since ages ago. Well you've introduced those delicious meals you cook to your baby and now that formula tastes like crap. See when newborns drink formula they are not tasting it they are just trying to fill their little tummies up. But when you start introducing solids to baby hell its a whole 'nother ballgame. Its all about the TASTE. Look at the bright side you have 3 1/2 more months until she doesn't need that nasty tasteless formula any any longer.
    diamondmamma

Answer by diamondmamma at 7:53 PM on Mar. 31, 2009

• Stop giving her water and juice, only offer formula. By replacing the water and juice, that will add that much formula to her daily intake.

It is normal for them do drop their formula intake when they start table foods. Not dropping to 8oz per day...but that's why you only give formula during the day until she takes more with her meals.

My guys always loved to eat...they'd still take 8oz with their meals...Do you give her a cup (sippy) with her meal? Then she can take sips throughout the meal.

If she still takes any baby cereal (mine didn't...but just an idea) mix it with formula, there's a couple more ounces.

Talk to the pediatrician about it at her 9 month check. Keep track of her FOOD intake and make sure she's getting a balanced diet for her nutrition. She's in that transition from all formula to food...
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 7:42 PM on Mar. 31, 2009

• I only give her the water to make sure that she is hydrated. Trust me, I have been trying to avoid all other drinks besides formula lol. She does get a sippy. Shes been drinking out of one since she was about 6 months old and she has always done great, but now she just throws it or slams it on the high chair while everything pours out. its a wee bit frustrating!
    Amanduhpanda

Answer by Amanduhpanda at 7:45 PM on Mar. 31, 2009

• -formula out of ONLY a sippy.
    - keep track of how many oz's, add it to her pablum.
    that's all I can think of, the doc will help the most.
    Anonymous

• It might just be a phase.
    This might be a "correct" way of doing thing but... For now you might want to try adding her formula powder to her food for the nutrition. And push the other fluids and add extra fluid to her food.
    So if she takes 4 oz of water in the day add the 2 scoops of formula to her baby food throught the day. And keep offering the formula before anything else. Try to get 20 oz of fluids in her a day.
    If she continues to not take it I would talk to her pediatrician about what they think you should do.
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 7:55 PM on Mar. 31, 2009

• my son was off of formula at 4months and he started pure cows milk at 5months so its not really to much to worry about as long as the child is healthy my son never been sick once only the flu twice and he is 2yrs old
    Anonymous

• Stop giving the water. She gets water from her formula and there is water in food, as well. She will not dehydrate. It's filling her up.

If she's doing well with table foods, and you're doing everything you can to give her a balanced and varied diet she's going to be fine.

My boys were on all table foods by 9 months. Our pediatrician gave the "go ahead" to switch them to milk because they were eating so well, we have no family food allergies, they had no food sensitivities and they were each the 95th percentile or above.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 8:36 PM on Mar. 31, 2009

• I am going through this same thing you are. My DD normally eats like a champ and the last 4 or 5 days we are not getting enough into her in my opinion. She is getting about 16 oz for foumula and about 10 oz of food if I am lucky. Today I cut back her food so that she would take more formula. My LO gets a very balanced diet. She gets 5 servings of fruits and vegies a day. I would call your pedi for some extra help to what else you can do.
    coala

Answer by coala at 8:51 PM on Mar. 31, 2009

• My daughter stopped formula around the same time. At 8 1/2 months I could not get her to drink anymore than 10-12 ounces a day. The next week I was lucky if she took 5 ounces, and I had to feed her while she was sleeping. By 9 months she gagged every time I would try to feed her formula. I tried sippy cups, straw cups, syringes, cups, spoons, etc. I tried every formula. For fear of her not getting enough calories and nutrients I added the powder to her baby food (she would not eat cereal with or without formula). I talked to my doctor and he said there was no need to add the powder to her baby food and it may cause constipation. However he did suggest I give her vitamins and drink 6 ounces (I can't remember) of liquid to prevent dehydration. I also give her a DHA/ARA supplement. She will be a year old in a little over 2 weeks and is a very happy and healthy baby. Best thing to do is talk to his pediatrician.
    Lexi.Mommy

Answer by Lexi.Mommy at 12:03 PM on Apr. 1, 2009