10 month old and sleeping HELP!!

My little boy has always been able to go to sleep on his own in his crib , the past two weeks he screams, screams and screams the minute I put him to bed. He sleeps fine in his crib for naps, but bedtime he literally screams for hours. I tried crying it out going in 5, 10, 15, etc.. minutes comforting him, after 2 1/2 I give up and rock him to sleep. Sometimes even if I do finally rock him to sleep the minute I put him in his crib he wakes up and screams. I thought of teething, but he has 8 teeth already and never acted like this before.Separation anxiety? I am my wits end. I dont know what to do. :o(.
I usually dont rock him to sleep either, I always have our normal routine, dinner, bottle bath, bed.. and I just dont understand what is going on. and to top it off, since this started he hasnt slept a full night. he wakes up every 2-3 hours screaming . has anyone been through this?

hgmom0823

Asked by hgmom0823 at 7:44 PM on Mar. 31, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• It sounds like separeation anxiety to me. Avery went through that a few times too. The last time my friends was over and I put him to bed and she asked :how do you get him to go to bed so good" I bragged up my awesome parenting and the next night he started fighting bed time so bad and it lasted about a month. Then all the sudden he was fine again. I do remember that at 9 months or so he went through it for a long time. Not sure what the exact cause is but hang in there because it will get better. Just keep trying. I gave up after he cried for a while too and rocked him but I made sure I at least tried to get him to go to bed on his own first. I thought of not even trying and just rocking him right from the start but I was afraid that it would just become how it was. Then eventually things just went back to normal. Good luck!
    Sammieanne

Answer by Sammieanne at 8:05 PM on Mar. 31, 2009

• Thats what I am going through right now with my 8 month old! I am desperate for any advice cause I'm exhausted.
    Annette4797

Answer by Annette4797 at 1:20 AM on Apr. 1, 2009

• I took him to the doctor and there is nothing wrong, he is fine, it is now spreading into the day. I cannot leave the room without him losing it. I cant make him happy unless I am by his side. I do not want to create a bigger problem in the long run by constantly picking him up, but I am so desparate for some rest at this point. At the same time I have this guilt if I leave him because he looks at me like this sad puppy and then starts screaming non stop. I do not know what to do :o(
    hgmom0823

Answer by hgmom0823 at 3:30 PM on Apr. 5, 2009