Overweight & TTC

Just wanted to know how everything went for anyone who was overweight when they were pregnant. I could stand to lose a few lbs and I'm kinda scared to get pregnant before I lose some weight. Right now we are not hard core TTC, I just went off my BC in Feb and we're just seeing what happens so I may still have some time to lose weight, but what if I don't? How much weight did you ladies gain? Were doctors scolding you about your weight? Did you have bad test results b/c of your weight? How easy was it to lose the weight after the birth? Did you end weighing less after pregnancy than before? Thanks ladies!!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:09 PM on Mar. 31, 2009 in Trying to Conceive

• I was overweight before I got pregnant and I had the same worries that you did. I got pregnant and gained about 40lbs (this is the higher-end of the recommended, "normal" amount of weight to gain. The "healthy" range is 25-40lb gain). My doctors did not scold me about my weight (even though they probably could have). They were nice. When I went to my first visit, I told them "I know I am overweight and I am sensitive about it." They understood (especially because my husband went to EVERY pre-natal appointment with me and they understood I was embarassed to talk about how much I weighed). My blood glucose test came out to be normal (no gestational diabetes). All of my labs were very healthy (despite my weight, I DO eat VERY healthy foods), except my iron was sometimes on the lower-end of normal (which can be expected for any pregnancy). I gave birth to a healthy baby boy (cont.)
    NovemberLove

Answer by NovemberLove at 8:14 PM on Mar. 31, 2009

• (cont.) In less than three months time, I lost every last pound that I had gained. My son just turned 4 months old and I have lost an additional 10lbs (so I am 10lbs lighter than I was before I got pregnant). I have not done any strenuous exercise or anything like that. Breastfeeding has helped me lose a lot of weight. Also, taking care of, lifting and carrying my son has helped too. Since I was pregnant and then BFing, I've made sure to have a very healthy diet since I am responsible for supplying my child's nutrition. That has helped as well. Now that it is warmer, I am looking forward to taking walks with my son in his stroller and continuing to watch the weight fall off :-)

I encourage you to try to lose as much as you can (in a safe way) before getting pregnant. Although you can lose it all after birth, you'll be suprised at how different your body will look. Don't be discouraged though. Work to fix it :-)
    NovemberLove

Answer by NovemberLove at 8:17 PM on Mar. 31, 2009

• I was on the overweight end of the scale as well. My Dr told me that she only wanted me to gain to 25 pounds. I told her that I wasn't going to restrict my diet just so that I could fit into a box. All the woman in my family gain about 35-40 while we are prego and I gained about 39. All of my tests were normal and except for my asthma and my medications causing contractions we had a very healthy pregnancy and a beautiful baby girl for an end result.
    coala

Answer by coala at 8:18 PM on Mar. 31, 2009

• I was considered overweight before trying to conceive. I weighted 185.. but the funny thing is I don't look it. I would say that, it's not just weight that's an issue. Sometimes it's the stress. And most women on average it takes a year. But, going back to the main question. If you are a standing to loose a couple of pounds. get in a routine to workout atleast 4 times a week for a 1/2. as time goes increase the activity. I think working out will help things move. I firmly believe that if you don't get active now it's not the best situation for your future baby.
    I'm just about 10 weeks pregnant, and I was told to continue to workout. Because I will gain 25-40 pounds and it's just a healthy lifestyle to workout to keep from gaining over 50-70 pounds because when your considered overweight already it's just not a good situation. I hope this helps. Good Luck!
    Sillylins

Answer by Sillylins at 1:46 PM on Apr. 1, 2009

• Thanks so much ladies! You've all really helped me feel better. I have been working out and watching what I eat so hopefully I'll be able to lose a little weight before I get pregnant. I was on the pill for 10 years and just went off a month ago so I'm sure I have a little time before I get pregnant. Plus DH and I haven't been tracking anything. Just BDing when we feel like it so I think that will buy me a little time to lose some weight! lol
    Anonymous