When a strange addresses you as "honey" does this offend you?

I had a call from a credit collector and the woman chewed my butt for saying "Honey i am sorry i have no money right now" She got very rude and informed me her name was not honey and that i can only call her Stacy. It slips out sometimes. I am from the south it just came out and very much offended her. Would you be offended? Am i wrong?

brees3

Asked by brees3 at 8:42 PM on Mar. 31, 2009 in Just for Fun

• Pisses me off, sweetie, hon, honey any of that crap. I think it's degrading.
    calliesmommie

Answer by calliesmommie at 8:42 PM on Mar. 31, 2009

• really ! Wow i had no idea it was degrading. I am just a nice person and it slips, something from childhood that sticks i guess, i dunno. Wow
    brees3

Answer by brees3 at 8:44 PM on Mar. 31, 2009

• It does not offend me at all. I guess some people just don't like it.
    my_three_sons

Answer by my_three_sons at 8:44 PM on Mar. 31, 2009

• I use it as a form of endearment when I can relate to something someone is going through, and I feel for them. But, I guess it depends on how and where it's used, and where you come from. I also call my kids and my husband that all the time, because they are sweet like honey!lol
    Steff107

Answer by Steff107 at 8:48 PM on Mar. 31, 2009

• I like it.
    sweetmom1007

Answer by sweetmom1007 at 8:48 PM on Mar. 31, 2009

• this is the first time in my entire life it has offended someone and she was extremely rude. She even got an attitude when i said i might be able to do $50 a month. she said i know the economy sucks but 50 is a crazy amount and you have to do $100. The dang bill is $212 for the hospital i think she might have just been having a bad day. I spoke to a manager and they said she was wrong to talk to me like that and they would handle it, but dang i felt like crap afterwards.

brees3

Answer by brees3 at 8:53 PM on Mar. 31, 2009

• I use the term Sweetie all the time but just with females, even with the telemarketers. If they don't like it then they won't call your home anymore which is a good thing for you.
    LatinMamiOf2

Answer by LatinMamiOf2 at 8:53 PM on Mar. 31, 2009

• Yep. Some people uses it to patronize you or be a sarcastic ass.
    diamondmamma

Answer by diamondmamma at 8:53 PM on Mar. 31, 2009

• i was NOT being sarcastic though and even though she was so rude, i remained calm and tried to finish the call nicely.

brees3

Answer by brees3 at 8:56 PM on Mar. 31, 2009

• i honestly don't really like it, but nothing that makes me upset or anything.
    jeana

Answer by jeana at 9:00 PM on Mar. 31, 2009