It's so gross to smoke around your kids!

Agree....Disagree? If you don't care about your health, neither do I! But I do care about the health of innocent children. I also care about my children when I am out in public when I have to walk near a smokers fumes. I have to re route myself to avoid it. But what about the smokers child that cant avoid it? Doesn't seem fair to the innocent child, does it? Thoughts....

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:50 PM on Mar. 31, 2009 in Kids' Health

• I agree completely. I was raised in a smokers house and it was "inconvenient" to go outside. I won't let my DD go to my mom's house for any extended amounts of time. A child doesn't ask to have their lungs damaged b/c a parent is selfish enough to smoke. By the way I took some stuff from my mom's this past weekend and it was covered in tar and nicotine another awful side effect of smoking.
    coala

Answer by coala at 8:56 PM on Mar. 31, 2009

• I AGREE!!!!
    I hate it that since the restaurants went smoke free here in Maryland, all the smokers go outside to smoke and they stand just outside the damn door. So, when you walk in, you walk through a smoke cloud! I think that is VERY rude!!
    my_three_sons

Answer by my_three_sons at 8:57 PM on Mar. 31, 2009

• I agree with you, I think it is child abuse. And if you look at the studies they have done on second hand smoke you'll surely agree. Not to mention the fact that it stinks! My family smoked in the house, the car, etc..... and I suffered with breathing problems my entire childhood. When I had my children I decided that they would never be in that kind of environment no matter who the person was. They now feel the same way. Smokers are generally very selfish when it comes to their nasty habit and are thoughtless when it comes to the health and comfort of others. It is too bad!

lilhoney

Answer by lilhoney at 9:36 PM on Mar. 31, 2009

• Agreed.
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 9:38 PM on Mar. 31, 2009

• Totally agree, it's horrific!
    jeanclaudia

Answer by jeanclaudia at 9:49 PM on Mar. 31, 2009

• Agree 100%. If that person doesn't care enough about themselves to try and quit than fine but their poor kids shouldn't have to suffer the harmful consequences of it. I saw a mom smoking in her car the other day with all the windows rolled up and had a baby in a carseat in the back. I wanted to get out of my car and smack her across the face! I mean it is stupid to smoke period knowing all the dangers of it, but how could you ever just let your baby breathe that in! Some ppl are so ignorant.
    Ash9724

Answer by Ash9724 at 9:50 PM on Mar. 31, 2009

• I agree. I worked at a pediatric office and we had a little boy with severe asthma. His dad smoked, and the doctor told him not to smoke around the little boy. The dad scoffed and said "All that stuff about smoking being bad for you is B.S. made up by the government."  I was floored!  He put his addiction in front of his son's health.

mancosmomma

Answer by mancosmomma at 10:25 PM on Mar. 31, 2009

• No it's absolutely NOT fair for the children. I was one of them growing up and it was probably a large part of the reason I take 3 different medicines for my asthma year-round. Smoking doesn't only affect the person doing it. If that was the case, then I wouldn't care.
    ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 10:29 PM on Mar. 31, 2009

• Not all smokers are inconsiderate, and being a previous smoker, I hated walking thru the cloud of smoke at the entrance of places of business, I hated smelling it while I was eating so I'm with you. But you do have to understand that smoking is an addiction just like drugs and alcohol and it's not that we choose to smoke over our kids, most of us have tried and tried to stop and until it's the right time, it's almost impossible. Having said that, I have smoked in the house with my kids, and in the car (window open in the car and oreck air cleaner in the house with me sitting beside it so that it instantly went right in and cleaned the smoke) because if I walk outside to smoke, my children are in danger because what if one falls, what if one hurts the other, what if one decides at that moment to take a drink of the window cleaner thinking it's kool-aid etc... I'm not saying that it's right, but it's an addiction too.
    lisa_ann_p

Answer by lisa_ann_p at 11:01 PM on Mar. 31, 2009

• I was anorexic before I was pregnant, which is a mental disorder. Never did i starve myself when pregnant bc my love for my child out weighed my addiction to weight loss. i would never intentionally put my childs health at risk. where you choose to smoke is in your control. falling and making them breathe in smoke are completely different. one you can control entirely, the other you can not. every child will fall, or get hurt. not every child will be exposed to cigarette fumes.
    Anonymous